Question about Freezing and kernel_task

Discussion in 'OS X Mavericks (10.9)' started by mrotsliah, Mar 9, 2014.

1. mrotsliah macrumors newbie

I upgraded to Mavericks two days ago, and I have found that just about every time I command-tab change programs, my computer freezes for about 10 to 30 seconds. I have done some Google searches, but the post are back from 2013. Is there something I need to do to stop the freezing?

Looking at the Activity Monitor (which has changed a lot), I have this strange new program called kernel_task, and it is taking up 1.36 GB real memory. Is that suppose to happen? I think read somewhere that it should be taking up 200 to 300 MB. Is this causing the freezing?

Is there a way to go back to Mountain Lion if these problem persist?

Thanks.

Attached Files:

2. w0lf, Mar 9, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 9, 2014

w0lf macrumors 65816

w0lf

No kernel_task is not new.

No it is not abnormal to be using a lot of ram. For an 8gb setup 750mb-1.5gb is generally pretty normal.

Only thing odd I see is almost 1gb compressed memory ( which isn't really very odd but ideally the computer should never really need to do that especially when it looks like you're not stressing the mem ).

Going off just that screenshot and no other info the likely cause of the issue is either app nap (try disabling it for all your running apps for a day) or Firefox(try using safari or chrome or even a firefox nightly for a day) or a combination of the two.