Question about friend's MacBook Pro

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by OnceYouGoMac, Sep 28, 2012.

1. OnceYouGoMac macrumors 6502

Hey,
    A friend of mine has a MacBook Pro (2011) and had some trouble with it. She was on a plane and her hair straightener fell on the screen as it was in a tiny suitcase. She took it into a repair shop and the screen wasn't stuck on properly. It's cracked again and she only got it replaced once. She took it back to the repair shop again after discovering the I told her she should return the laptop and get a new one. It's only got 1 year warranty and she got it last Christmas. It's a rather strange problem. What do you guys think she should do? :apple:

2. boto macrumors 6502

boto

Took it in for repair and you told her to return it... What? What was the options or what did the Genius bar person tell her? The 1 year warranty does not cover external damages, only internal hardware related and refunding is not an option unless she has gotten the machine repaired 3+ times on the same issue, although I guess 2+ since I got myself a refund after replacing my rMBP screen panel 2 times. Then I was offered to refund it since they didn't think the machine was suited for me.

3. OnceYouGoMac thread starter macrumors 6502

She didn't take it to a Genius Bar as we don't have Apple Stores in Ireland. She took it into some local repair shop near where she lives. She got the screen replaced once and the hinge was broken and now the screen is cracked again. It sounds like the replacement screen was defective. I'm thinking the thing for her to do is to go over to London and go to an Apple Store there (maybe Regent Street or Covent Garden) and get their opinion on it. It's a very strange issue.

4. petereoin macrumors member

Compu B is an Apple Authorised Service provider in Ireland
    http://compub.com/support/apple-authorised-service-provider/

Store locations:

http://compub.com/contact/

5. Dangerous Theory macrumors 68000

She made a big mistake taking it first to a non AASP. They definitely did a shoddy job/put in a cheap screen. I suggest she complains to them and gets refunded and then takes the laptop to an AASP and hope they can replace it at a reasonable price.

6. OnceYouGoMac thread starter macrumors 6502

7. petereoin macrumors member

Comput b exclusively sells Apple products, did you look at their website???

8. sweetbrat macrumors 65816

sweetbrat

I don't see how this is a strange issue. The work replacing the screen was not done by an AASP, correct? In that case, the only thing I can imagine Apple doing for her is charging her to replace the screen. The original damage wouldn't have been covered under warranty, and the shoddy work done by a non-AASP certainly won't be covered. Before deciding to fly to London, she should check with a local AASP, or at the very least call Apple and try to find out what the cost would be. If she does go to Apple in London, getting it repaired isn't likely to be something that would be done on the spot, which would mean staying in London to wait or flying back to pick it up again later. Perhaps that's a viable option, but it sounds pretty odd to me.

9. OnceYouGoMac thread starter macrumors 6502

I did. I think it's gonna be the closest we get to a real Apple Store :(

Yep. I looked up the place she got it fixed at and it's definitely not an AASP. They fix Windows machines. I'll mention that about the Apple Store to her next week (lost her phone number).