Question about Fusion vs. Paralles vs. Boot Camp

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by astrostu, Jan 9, 2008.

1. astrostu macrumors 6502

I ordered a MacPro this morning with the base hard drive (320 GB). I'll also be getting two 500 GB drives. I plan on using one of the 500 GB drives for the OS, apps, and most of my every-day data. The other 500 GB will be a Time Machine backup.

The 320 GB drive I'd like to partition into two images, one being 275 GB and the second being the balance (35-40 GB I'm guessing). Onto the smaller partition, I was planning on installing Windows for Boot Camp purposes.

My question is, can I also run Fusion or Parallels off of that Boot Camp Windows partition? Or do the virtualization programs create/require their own "file" that houses the Windows install? :confused:

2. Big-TDI-Guy macrumors 68030

Big-TDI-Guy

I personally would advise AGAINST using your Bootcamp install in Parallels or Fusion. (though they give you an option to)

Reason: If for some reason either Virtual machine crashes - it may corrupt your Bootcamp partition - for good.

Bootcamp is best if you NEED the processing power it affords you - otherwise - Parallels or Fusion will work just fine - and they do NOT need their own file/partition/directory in the manner I believe you're thinking. (like Bootcamp does) They run as an application within OSX - and have an OS file (your windows operating system) which is super easy to backup / and restore.

With either virtualizer - you can drag and drop files between both OSes with ease - easier likely then an external drive and bootcamp/OSX.

I've pretty much dumped bootcamp since using Parallels. Haven't fired bootcamp up in months now.

3. astrostu thread starter macrumors 6502

4. R.Youden macrumors 68020

R.Youden

Also it depends on which version of Windows you are using. Tests have shown that Parallels is better for XP, whilst Fusion if better for Vista. Personally I use Fusion after Parallels became incredibly buggy on me.

5. SaSaSushi macrumors 68040

SaSaSushi

While I agree that this is a compelling reason not to use Parallels or Fusion with the Boot Camp install I am doing so and have found Fusion to be much more stable using BC than VMs for some reason. Fusion has crashed a few times but I've yet to damage the BC install. I guess I'm lucky.

I prefer using BC because I don't use extra HDD space with a VM and one install of Windows is more than enough for me.

6. aaronw1986 macrumors 68030

I use bootcamp and fusion...it doesn't take up extra space...they share the partition.

7. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

if you want to game use boot camp. if you dont need to game and want to only use windows apps like IE, excel, outlook use parallels/fusion. if you want to game and use windows apps either use boot camp only or both boot camp and parallels/fusion.

8. Vapor macrumors member

All I need to run in windows is explorer 6.0 or better. what would be best for that.

9. boast macrumors 65816

boast

a VM would be better. saves the hassle of booting back and forth

10. jhande macrumors 6502

Agree with the previous comments wrt running Parallels/Fusion on the Bootcamp partition.

Having said that, I bought Parallels initially and was reasonably satisfied until the last iteration, which I found buggy, and the default (default!) 'integration' with OS X a complete travesty of design, causing quite a bit of messing around before I figured out how to 'de-integrate' Parallels and OS X.

I've had a couple of times where Parallels barfed up my VM, causing a reinstall. To be fair, tho', that didn't happen with Parallels 3.

Being fed up with Parallels, I bought Fusion. Much nicer. Even if the VM crashes, no corruption of the VM. Best of all, no default stupid integration with OS X. Unless I do something actively, the VM is sandboxed from the rest of the system. Highly recommended.