Question about G5 Macpro fans

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by Mrbill317, May 12, 2009.

1. Mrbill317 macrumors regular

I wanted to know if anyone knows the wire info (4 wires) on the grey case fans that are used in the mac pro's
    I have two spares and was going to convert them to work in my pc since they are exception quality and quiet.

Im thinking + and - and then speed control.

2. davidlv macrumors 65816

This is not really on topic, but you really should edit your post as it is confusing as it is, ie. There were no G5 Mac Pros, the G5 machines were called Power Mac G5s. :D

3. 300D macrumors 65816

300D

The fans are controlled by a special chip that uses pulse width modulation to control fan speed. Hooking it up to straight voltage, besides making it run very loud, will damage them.

4. J the Ninja macrumors 68000

The fan will probably work best on a CPU heatsink that fits a 120mm, like the Xigamatek 1283. Is it the normal 4pin header? Check it against the fan cable for the box cooler that came with your PC's CPU. Are they the same? The 4-pin header includes an extra wire for sending a speed control signal. Note that the fan will work anyway without it. Well, usually they do. A properly-designed one will go to full speed without the control signal, but you'll want a boot carefully the first time you use it. Note that the CPU fan connector is likely to be the only one you can drop it back from full speed on.

Also, if you use it on your CPU, don't forget to enable CPU Fan Control in your BIOS! Otherwise, it will just run at full power all the time.