Question about "game center" leaderboards

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by dvir971, Mar 22, 2011.

1. dvir971 macrumors regular

dvir971

I don't yet have a Device competible with game center, but just of curiosity I want to ask : do the gamecenter recognizes old high scores and achievements (from the device itself or from another social gaming network) or it load only achievements and high scores that I get from the moment I got the gamecenter and thereafter?

2. diamond.g macrumors 603

diamond.g

GameCenter scores are tied to your GC ID. Which should follw you from device to device.

But in order to have the high score be recorded (as far as i can tell) you have to be logged into GameCenter when you get the score. It doesn't seem to keep a copy for syncing later (like XBL). OR at least not that I could tell I could be wrong.

3. dvir971 thread starter macrumors regular

dvir971

No, I mean if a played a game like "angry birds" in an old device (that don't have GameCenter ) and then I kept playing with another device that has a GameCenter will it give me the achievements that I already got in the new device (for example all of the level are in 3 stars, will it give me the achievement for that when I log to the GC?)?

4. diamond.g macrumors 603

diamond.g

Right, what I said still applies. I am not sure if you have to be logged into GameCenter in order to get the achievements. IE you can't play AB offline then connect in and upload your achievements (like you could on XBL). Someone else will have to chime in with the answer one way or another.

Upon searching the intarwebs it appears you cannot get achievements without being logged in. So no your three star Angry Bird achievements are lost.

5. diamond.g macrumors 603

diamond.g

Update! I was reading a dev's blog. It appears that Apple wants devs to continually try to update your GC information even if the connection isn't present. So I guess as long as your version of Angry Birds was GC aware you should be able to get the achievements even if you played the game offline. Assuming the Angry Bird devs have added in the constant updating.

The reMovem dev was hoping Apple would create some sort of unified API or way of doing it versus leaving it up to the developer.

6. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

Yeah, I play Angry Birds on airplanes and the scores I get show up in Game Center sometime later.