Question about gaming on the new iMac...

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Soundburst, Oct 29, 2012.

1. Soundburst macrumors 6502a

So I've been so excited about buying my 27 iMac with the 680mx or whatever and then looked at Assassins Creed 3 box art and realised that the shops ship them on DVD's. lol.

I know you can buy games off Steam etc . . . but that takes away a lot of the price competition. . .it's much cheaper to buy games on DVD's and stuff.

Is it possible to buy games on DVD's then use a MBP DVD Drive to install the game on your iMac using that air feature. . .or do games run off the CD meaning that on the new iMac you basically have to buy all your software online at full price.

Thanks in advance.

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Users of Macs without optical drives can either buy an Apple USB SuperDrive (or other optical drive) or use DVD or CD sharing: Using Remote Disc when they need access to an optical drive. This method won't work, however, if the game disc is copy protected.

If you have a Mac model that does have an optical drive, you can still enable this feature by entering the following commands in Terminal, then relaunch Finder:
    defaults write com.apple.NetworkBrowser EnableODiskBrowsing -bool true
    defaults write com.apple.NetworkBrowser ODSSupported -bool true​

3. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

I don't know of any game in the last year that has run off the DVD. If its available on Steam, I don't think DVD-based DRM would work very well. ;)

4. Isengardtom macrumors member

I believe most of them will run (partially) off the dvd

As for the price, I don't find Steam more expensive than buying the DVD

a external superdrive is an option off course

5. JSchwartz15 macrumors regular

The Sims

6. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

Oh, yeah. How could I forget that one!?!? My daughter plays it.. or played it.

7. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

I can confirm from Apple that the superdrive that was an accessory with the MBA will work fine with the new iMac...I suspect that some of the cheaper offerings may well do so too, but I can't confirm that.

8. Soundburst thread starter macrumors 6502a

So the Superdrive connection - even though it uses USB. . can run games and stuff? Is the read speed of a CD/DVD smaller than the USB speed?

I guess what I'm trying to say is. . .is the superdrive even though external USB. . .exactly the same as if it was built in? :)

9. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

Yes. USB 2.0 is faster than most DVD drives, especially the "Superdrive".

10. Soundburst thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks alot :)

11. CoreyLahey macrumors regular

I've been exclusively playing on consoles the last couple of years, and since I'm not a huge collector, I just play through a game and then re-sell it.

Can I do the same thing on Mac/PC when I buy the DVD version? I know that with Diablo 3 it's not possible to sell the actual game account, is that similar with other PC games? Are there download versions that actually can be sold?

12. MaulRx Suspended

I'm worried about the USB length on the SuperDrive, the one I have has a really short cord, I doubt it would reach to back of the new iMac.

13. Ryan.Tanner macrumors regular

Buying a game from Steam is the way to go because you will always be able to download the game again in the future when you get a new computer. It is really awesome when your hard drive crashes and you install a new OS. Just download Steam and all your games download.

14. Icaras macrumors 603

Icaras

Cheaper on DVD? Are you kidding me? :eek:

With the sales that Steam generally run and their daily deals? I've gotten so many big AAA titles for less than $5 off Steam, far cheaper than getting them on DVD.

In fact, Steam is now running their Halloween sale. Just look at these prices and compare them for yourself:

http://store.steampowered.com/sale/halloweensale_2012

Just a few examples right now where Steam easily beat DVD in prices (taken from Amazon):

Dead Rising 2
    DVD: $9.99
    Steam: $7.49

Rage
    DVD: $14.26
    Steam: $9.99

Dead Space 2
    DVD: $11.51
    Steam: $4.99

The Secret World
    DVD: $26.95
    Steam: $22.49

Dead Island
    DVD: $18.77
    Steam: $9.99

And the list goes on...

15. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

I think not...USB2 isn't going to give you speeds that an internal would. The Superdrive was aimed originally at MBA owners who wanted to load software and rip DVD / CD's etc. I have one, but have never tried to run anything directly from it.

16. MacWanter macrumors member

How is getting the Dvd cheaper? Packaging and tax. I rember getting portal 2 for 20$ cheaper on steam than on Dvd.