Question about Genius Bar swapped phone and 30 day return policy.

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by ahfu25, Jun 29, 2010.

1. ahfu25 macrumors 6502a

I made a genius bar appointment so they can take a look at my iPhone 4. Ofcourse I'm still under 30 days but what I want to know is if they swap out my phone for a white boxed one, what happens if I want to return my ip4 and go back to my 3GS? The serial numbers won't match the box so what am i supposed to do? Ask for a brand new one in box? I highly doubt I will be going back to my 3GS but I'm asking because 1, hey you never know and 2, no one has asked this and maybe it can help someone who will find themselves in this situation. Thanx in advance.....and btw....I love the ip4 even with the reception issues!

2. ahfu25 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Btw I got my iPhone 4 from the Apple store and there return policy is 14 days. I would also like to know the answer if some one bought it from at&t and swapped it out at the Genius bar then returned it to at&t within there return policy.

3. Chimpware macrumors regular

Uhhh, wouldn't it make more sense to ask at the Apple Store instead of listening to some random answer on a forum? Just sayin...

4. ahfu25 thread starter macrumors 6502a

I asked apple and AT&T and got a ok and a not ok....thanx for the advice and help <<< in my sarcastic face ...lol

5. Ronnoco macrumors 68030

Ronnoco

AFAIK, right now they are still replacing phones with brand new, sealed retail boxed phones...this was the case for me yesterday...they asked if I would bring back my old box at my convenience...

6. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

I think that is only if you bought your iP4 @ the retail Apple Store. I bought my on the online store (preorder) and they would only exchange w/ a no-box service exchange. It was new too, so no big, but they specifically told me they could not exchange for a retail box b/c I bought online. I had my original box & accessories w/ me too. Again, didn't really care, just my experience.

7. Chimpware macrumors regular

Hey good luck, there will be no end of people willing to give you "expert" advice here, that is about as reliable as a magic 8 ball.

8. ahfu25 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thank you for your expert advice about expert advice.

9. Chimpware macrumors regular

Yup, mine included, so why not call the people who matter, the Apple Store...

10. milerich macrumors regular

Exchanged today and it was a black box, with just the iPhone sealed inside. Most likely new, as it is probably too soon to be able to be dishing out refurbs.

11. neu macrumors newbie

Exchanged mine yesterday at Apple Retail Store (Bought it at ATT online)
    Gave me a service replacement (phone only) and also a new serial number label. Still have 30 days with ATT, although 30 days is from the time you order

12. Drakdaddy macrumors member

I tried to exchange mine but they were out. They said that they will call me when more come in and they made me sign a sheet and i have a copy of it. Did this happen to anyone else? For some reason, I dont trust them that much

13. dave006 Contributor

dave006

Sorry guys bad news if you opt for a warranty exchange.

Once you get a warranty exchange, you can't return the phone to AT&T as it is not the device you purchased. Just like the old warning about not removing the UPC code from the box or removing the "Do Not Remove" tag.

If you purchased from Apple you may have more options but with AT&T it is the standard BRE terms. Return the same phone or you don't get to use the BRE and walk away from AT&T and your shiny new two-year service commitment.

Returned equipment must be in the manufacturer's original packaging and be in like-new condition (no physical or water damage). The return must include the original components such as the device, battery, charger, manual, unopened software and invoice/receipt.
    source: http://www.wireless.att.com/cell-phone-service/legal/return-policy.jsp

Dave