Question about getting a new charger...

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by alldat, Oct 5, 2014.

1. alldat macrumors regular

The charger for my Mid-2009 15in MBP has finally gone completely dead. I used to be able to wiggle it and get it to work for a while. My question is, is this the correct charger I should be ordering?

I just want to make sure that it's the correct one since I don't want to ruin the batter (which I'm sure will be the next thing to go).

Thanks for any help

2. Freyqq macrumors 68040

Looks correct. However, the problem may be with the computer's charger port and not the charger itself. I would test it with another charger and make sure the charger is at fault.

3. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

Didn't really matter what wattage the charger is. I could use the 85watt on my 11" mba without an issue so don't worry. Obviously the larger the charger the quicker it'll charge especially under heavy loads but the battery won't take more than it needs

4. n0cus macrumors 6502

Like Freyqq said, make sure it isn't the charge port itself. Go to an Apple Store or a Best Buy with your MBP and test to see if their chargers work on your computer. If all you have is a bad charger, then this charger will work great! If you don't buy from the Apple Store, make sure you buy an Apple branded charger. Off-branded chargers can be dangerous.

5. alldat thread starter macrumors regular

Definitely getting an apple brand charger. Thanks for all the help. I tested that shaped charger on mine with my brothers MBA charger and it fits. I'll use his until mine comes. Thanks again !

6. avflinsch macrumors member

Not quite true, you can always use a higher wattage charger, without any issues. If you try to use a lower wattage charger, you may be able to charge the battery, but it probably will not work to run the computer directly off of the charger.

Personally, I always use the higher wattage charger, they will run cooler under the same load (leading to a longer life for the charger).

7. Gav Mack macrumors 68020

Gav Mack

I always use the 85 Watt version instead of the 65w. Stick to genuine Apple, you only have to open up a copy or counterfeit to know how bad they are constructed inside. I got two here in the UK for £30 each when bestbuy closed the UK shops.

You have the removable battery, so whip it out, and use a dry clean toothbrush with some isopropyl to get the little contact points nice and clean and allow to dry thoroughly before putting the battery back in.