Question about getting MacBook repaired

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by LSUtigers03, Oct 23, 2008.

1. LSUtigers03 macrumors 68020

LSUtigers03

There's nothing wrong with any of the hardware. What needs to be replaced is the plastic covering the keys it's cracked near the edges. What I want to do is take my HD out and use it in my sisters MacBook until I get mine back. Will I be able to do that or will the Apple Store make me leave the HD in the computer? I tried calling to ask but I was on hold forever. I'm just wondering if anyone here might be able to tell me.

2. piano08man macrumors newbie

You should have no problem bringing your machine in sans hard drive. Apple doesn't need the hard drive to replace the top case... in fact, they would probably encourage this behavior because it would leave you in the best position. They're typically all about customer satisfaction... so my vote is to go ahead and pull the hard drive and bring it to them to get it fixed.

The only catch here is that the top case cracking is typically "user abuse." It's a very common problem with the original macbooks and with a little bit of push back, they'll typically replace the topcase. Just don't let them make you pay for it. That is of course if I truly understand your "cracked" issue. Maybe a picture would help us determine it?

3. mrrish macrumors regular

mrrish

They don't assume abuse. I was in there buying a macbook and noticed two genius cases in 30 minutes of white macbooks having various cracks. Just be ready to not have it for a week.

4. LSUtigers03 thread starter macrumors 68020

LSUtigers03

This isn't my MacBook but this is the same crack that mine has.

Attached Files:

5. piano08man macrumors newbie

Great. Well not great, but great in the sense that it is something they would typically replace. If you go and they decide to do it... make sure you mention the "Zero to Thirty" opportunity. If the Genius in the Genius Room is able, a lot of times the Apple Store will crank that repair out quickly for you in order to improve their metrics.

Zero to Thirty repairs are typically opened and closed within 30 minutes and just a couple of those a day will make that store's genius bar look incredible so it's always a good idea to present the idea. They'll probably tell you that you'd need to be a pro care member, but it's worth a shot. Sometimes they're in need of the metrics.

To answer the other poster, Genius bars have been getting in trouble recently with how many of the topcase replacements they're doing for free. Technically speaking there is only a select window of macbooks that fall under the in-warranty repair for this issue. It's all based on serial numbers. Only 1st and 2nd revision macbooks with certain serial ranges are truly accepted by Apple because they "fixed" the issue with the cracking plastic edges. The issue has never truly been fixed because it's happened on every revision... now with the aluminum unibody... it'll stop. Thank God.

Just don't let them tell you they can't do it in warranty.

6. techound1 macrumors 68000

techound1

I agree with piano - fight (politely and insistently) about getting it replaced. It has been a big, big problem on the MBs.

7. LSUtigers03 thread starter macrumors 68020

LSUtigers03

I got my MacBook in July 07 my sister got hers in August 07. Her computer did the same thing and they fixed hers. Does having Apple Care make a difference?

8. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

My MacBook had the exact same crack and was repaired in under 40 minutes in store. This was under the standard one year warranty.

9. piano08man macrumors newbie

AppleCare absolutely makes a difference. If you didn't purchase the extended warranty within the first year, you're going to have a very difficult time trying to convince them to replace your topcase without paying for it. The limited warranty would have ran out in July 2008. If you didn't purchase the extended warranty, you will most likely be paying out of pocket. Unfortunately, at this point there's no way to add additional warranty to your machine so... here's hoping you've bought it already.

I can't stress purchasing AppleCare enough... most people disagree, but with one repair, it's already paid for itself.

10. LSUtigers03 thread starter macrumors 68020

LSUtigers03

I have Apple Care already I just wasn't sure if they would deem that the topcase cracked because of abuse because it seems to be a problem with the MacBook.