Question about glare and the iPad

Discussion in 'iPad' started by akal575, Apr 15, 2010.

1. akal575 macrumors member

So i have an iPad and my mother was interested about getting one. Her only concern, and the question that i need answered is that how does the iPad faire in the sun when trying to read. For example she would use the iPad a lot for reading books via the iBooks store. In addition, she was really attracted to the idea of being able to go on vacation and not need to lug 3-4 books with her when she can just carry the iPad with her and have all that she needs and More.

If anyone could shed some light on this that would be awesome.

In addition, if glare really hinders reading on the iPad, are there any solutions you know of which would negate the glare on the screen and allow for reading in the sun?

Thanks!

2. r0k macrumors 68040

r0k

You won't like reading in the sun. It does not work well. The glare is very noticeable, but because the screen has such a wide viewing angle, it's usually easy to find a position to read without seeing the glare.

Hpoe this helps...

3. nsorrelle macrumors member

If she wants a device for reading books, and she wants to be able to read in the sun, she's better off with a dedicated ebook reader such as the Kindle.

4. Slip Jigs macrumors 6502a

I was listening to the TWIT guys, MacBreak weekly with their iPad review. One of em actually took it out on the beach for a test. Said it wasn't the optimal viewing experience, but yet it was still very readable.

Keep in mind, it's not so much the reflective screen, but the backlight that makes it harder to read in brighter light. If it's just not acceptable as is, you can change the theme in iBooks to give you white text on black background. So overall, I think it's fine.

5. Alchematron macrumors 65816

Alchematron

Demand non-glare glass!

Should have been an option from the word go!

6. gillybean macrumors 6502a

Bring your iPad to the optometrist and have them apply an anti-reflective coating.

7. akal575 thread starter macrumors member

How do you change the theme in iBooks?

8. 8CoreWhore macrumors 68020

8CoreWhore

But keep in mind the current anti oil coat would first need to be removed. It seems.

Occassionally there's glare which can be controlled by tilting the ipad a little and the glare is gone. Full brightness kills most glare. It's manageable and worth it.

9. Simgar988 macrumors 65816

Simgar988

Nonway. Woulda ruined the device just like a camera

10. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

You could try an anti-glare screen protector.

11. macduke macrumors 604

macduke

I used the iPad to fill out a Word document study guide for my marketing class and studied off of it while outside in full sunlight the other day. It is easy to change the viewing angle to see it better, but with the brightness up all the way, it actually wasn't too bad. It might decrease the battery by an hour or two. It wasn't the ideal experience, but it wasn't the worst. About average, and readable enough. Get an anti-glare screen protector and you'll be good to go. I haven't purchased mine yet as I'm waiting for Power Support to begin offering a solution for iPad (I love their screen protectors for iPhone). I also know that these screen protectors make the iPhone a lot more readable outdoors. Plus they really cut down on the fingerprints, which is a HUGE bonus. My main reason for purchasing them, actually. I see more people propping up against a tree, or in a lounge chair looking at the screen anyhow. How many people will hold it parallel to the sky the whole time they are reading? I never hold books like that anyway.