Question about glitches/flickering... Is this normal?

tm0000

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 29, 2014
So, I’ve been having flickers on my 2018 MBP while watching netflix in fullscreen. The problem has appeared in 2 of my MBP’s with the latest version of Mojave on them. I have written about this in previous threads.

I’ve been searching the net for a solution. I’ve tried everything from resetting the SMC and NVRAM to downloading silverlight etc…

The only thing that seems to be working (stopped the flickering when watching full screen Netflix) is unchecking “Automatic graphics switching” under energy saving.

This one person said on reddit that it only happens when watching shows with a high bitrate. They said that they have watched many shows and never had this problem (Just like me)! They said they don't get this error on chrome because, netflix just works on Safari at high bitrates. Other browsers have limitations. Btw you can see playing bitrate with clicking "Shift+Control+Option+D".

So, my question is … What do you think? Is this correct? Have I returned the MBP for no reason? Do you think that this is normal and my MBP isn’t a lemon?

Thank you

tm0000

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 29, 2014
I just tested this on Chrome and there is no flickering/glitches in Chrome.

I've seen people mention this exact same scenario on many different forums!

Does this mean it's expected and not a glitch? I tested my mid 2014 rMBP and did not see any flickers/glitches!

What do you think? I'd really appreciate your input, please!

Last edited:

Pakaku

macrumors 68020
Aug 29, 2009
Sounds like fullscreen Netflix is too strong for intel graphics, if turning off graphics switching (I.E. forcing it to use your dedicated graphics card) will fix the problem

tm0000

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 29, 2014
Sounds like fullscreen Netflix is too strong for intel graphics, if turning off graphics switching (I.E. forcing it to use your dedicated graphics card) will fix the problem
I found many others with the same problem when I googled this... all the way back to 2015!

So would you say this is normal/expected and not a defect?

Thank you for your input! I appreciate it!

leman

macrumors G4
Oct 14, 2008
It’s a bug in Safari/driver. I experienced it with full screen YouTube playback sometimes, but latest versions of macOS fixed it for me.