Question about Go Phones while waiting for Iphone 4

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by AshStorm, Jun 16, 2010.

1. AshStorm macrumors member

Howdy!

I'm about to sell my iPhone 3GS while waiting for my iphone 4. I'm thinking about picking up a cheapy Go Phone in the interim and had a couple of questions.

1. What happens when I have the rep switch my number over to the Go Phone? Since its a pre-paid phone, I have no clue how that will work with my current iPhone plan set up.
    2. I don't want to lose my unlimited data plan by switching my number to the Go-Phone then back to the Iphone 4. Should I be concerned about the possiblity?

I did try to mroogle the scenario but I didn't find anything useful. Any answers or advice would be appreciated.

Thanks!

2. carrodan macrumors newbie

Just chatted with AT&T rep on the same questions

From my chat with an att rep, it seems like we should be in the clear (I lost my iphone a week and a half ago but am waiting to get another until after iPhone 4 comes out:

Daniel: if i wanted to temporarily replace my iphone, could i buy a "go phone" from att and use that on my current plan?
    Clarissa: Yes.
    Daniel: would that cost anything other than the price of the new phone?
    Clarissa: That's all you will have to pay today.
    Daniel: great
    Daniel: now lets say I buy an iphone in a month or so
    Daniel: would i still get to keep the $30 unlimited iPhone data plan i currently have?
    Clarissa: Yes.
    Daniel: and would my upgrade eligibility for the new iphone be affected in any way?
    Clarissa: No, Daniel this will not effect your upgrade eligibility.

3. GadgetGeek71 macrumors 6502

You may want to consider picking up a cheap pay-as-you-go (not go phone) phone from a retailer. This way, you'll have a backup in case something happends to your iPhone in the future.

Just a thought.

4. AshStorm thread starter macrumors member

Just a follow up and a thank you.

Sold the Iphone 3GS, picked up the cheap $30 go phone from the ATT store, they inserted my SIM with my specific instructions that my plan is not to be changed, and it worked perfectly.

Now to adapt living with this tinker toy of a phone for the next week while the iiPhone 4 arrives :p

Thanks for the input!