Question about Griffin powerjolts

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by chele519, Sep 27, 2012.

1. chele519 macrumors regular

My car usb port cannot charge the phone so I'm looking at the usb adapters that plug into a cigarette lighter. I've seen a bunch of posts mention Griffin so I looked at those. One is even listed on Apple's website, both are carried by Walmart but I'm confused with the info. There is one that comes with an Ipod cable and is listed at 2.1a, this info is on Apple's website. There is another one that is the Griffin micro universal. I can't find if this is also 2.1 or not. I've read reviews that say if it is only 1a, it is very slow and will not charge as well. I have no need for the cables that are included but if it will charge better I'll order this one. Would like to get some opinions as Walmart only carries the micro in store. I'm going to try it but would also consider Scosche if that's a good brand.

2. CH34P3T macrumors regular

Is this the micro one that you're talking about?

http://www.amazon.com/Griffin-Powerjolt-Dual-Universal-Micro/dp/B0042B9U8Q

If so, it's 1 amp, outputting 5 watts per USB port which is the same as the Apple's USB power adapter.

The 2.1 amps Powerjolt is outputting 10 watts, which is enough to charge the iPad, but will also charge the iPhone faster without any issues.

3. chele519 thread starter macrumors regular

4. RichardC300 macrumors 65816

RichardC300

5. gmiller598 macrumors newbie

I picked up on of these in WalMart today and it works. However, it is stuck in my power slot.

Any ideas on how to get it out? There isn't really anything to grab onto since it almost sits level with the top of the slot. I don't want to destroy it pulling it out and I don't want to destroy my power slot in my car.

6. chele519 thread starter macrumors regular

That was the other thing that concerned me. My cigarette lighter plug has a cover over it and it does not move completely out of the way so I wasn't sure if the Griffin would go in right or be able to come out. I'd read some reviews that it was hard to get out. The belkin is not flush so that's good, mine is in an enclosed area not on the dash so it was fine either way. I saw a post where someone used needle nose pliers it was in there so tight. I'm still thinking of getting the Scosche but it sounds like that fits flush also.

7. mscann macrumors member

I recently got a Scoche one at staples. 2 usb ports and they both run 2.1 amps. Pretty sure its the only one on the market like that. It was $ 20.

8. chele519 thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks, I checked with them, they are out of stock in the warehouse and don't even know if they will continue to carry it. At least the Belkin from Walmart has a 90 day return period, Staples is only 2 weeks.