Question about guest network feature on Time Capsules

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Blaine, Jan 17, 2010.

1. Blaine macrumors 6502a

Blaine

I have the original Time Capsule, so I can't try this out.

I have a Nintendo DS which cannot access WPA encrypted networks, so I wondered if I could get a newer Time Capsule and create a guest network for the DS which would be encrypted by WEP.

I saw something that said guest networks could only use WPA or WPA2, so that is why I am wondering.

2. mbestel macrumors member

Guest access

It's true that you can't use WEP for guest networks.

You could possibly leave it open and restrict by MAC (although that isn't really very secure).

Apparently you can also restrict "casual" users to a limited number of hours of access which could limit the damage that someone could do to your bandwidth limits.

Mark

3. designgeek macrumors 65816

designgeek

I'd go with whitelisting the DS, you can set unknown devices (shown as "(default)" in the Timed Access pane) to no network access at all. All you have to do is whitelist every computer on your network, the down side is that people you would ordinarily allow, such as visitors or friends can't just hop on, you have to whitelist them too.

4. Blaine thread starter macrumors 6502a

Blaine

This sounds like a good idea. I could do this and then turn on wep encryption for the network. Too bad ****** Nintendo didn't build in WPA from the start... :mad:

5. designgeek macrumors 65816

designgeek

Yeah, that is really really stupid.:(