question about handbrake

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by robindahlia789, Apr 21, 2009.

1. robindahlia789 macrumors regular

i've heard of people leaving handbrake on for the day while it rips a few dvds while they are gone
    i don't get how they do that since when i need too rip a dvd i need the dvd in superdrive. i tried adding it too the que (sp?), taking the dvd out, then try the ripping process but it gives me an error.
    thanks

Robin

2. JustGretchen macrumors 6502

They may be using it to convert video files and not rip DVDs.

3. robindahlia789 thread starter macrumors regular

4. JustGretchen macrumors 6502

That question, sir, I can not answer :)

Glad I could shed some light on the subject though.

5. Ivan P macrumors 68030

Ivan P

They could also mean that they're ripping a TV show that's on DVD, so it's multiple episodes that they're ripping.
    Handbrake clearly can't rip if the DVD isn't in the drive, because otherwise there's no source for the video :p when it 'scans' the DVD at the start it isn't copying anything, it's just finding out how many different videos are on the DVD and how long they go for :)

6. spice weasel macrumors 65816

You can queue up multiple encodes in HandBrake, as you know. If the content isn't all on one DVD (like several episodes of a TV show), then you need to rip the disc to your hard drive first. Do this for several DVDs, then queue the VIDEO_TS folders up in HandBrake. There are several rippers for Mac out there. Check out Mac the Ripper, RipIt, or Fairmount.