question about hardrives

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by aelizalde, Jan 17, 2009.

1. aelizalde macrumors newbie

aelizalde

so...i've been using the hardrive that came with my macbook (80) and have been using an external hardrive with time machine.

when i get my new hardrive (320) and put leopard on it, should i just be able to re-connect my external hardrive and have everything put on it?

if not, how should i go about putting my old information on the new hardrive?

2. kastenbrust macrumors 68030

kastenbrust

You will be able to restore all your old files (word documents, photos, music etc) but not your Programms, Applications, Games or Leopard Settings. To restore these i would reccomend making an image of your current hard drive, saving it on your time machine, and then using another computer transferring that image onto your new hard drive.

3. MattyK macrumors 6502a

MattyK

I thought doing a migration assistant re-install takes over ALL of your folders and applications? It worked for me.. Can't he just do a firewire over also?

4. kastenbrust macrumors 68030

kastenbrust

Migration assistant is good but this is the first time he's replacing his hard drive clearly so he probably doesnt know much about how much the whole process works.

5. GfulDedFan macrumors 65816

GfulDedFan

If you have a new drive, your Leopard disk, and a Time Machine backup, you can restore your entire system including files, programs, and settings. It will be complete.

There are others but I like this easy to read article: Restoring from Time Machine.

I have not used this method but instead have used the clone method using SuperDuper to make a clone of my old drive that is put to the new drive. Again, everything was there including files, programs and settings just as I had in the old drive.

6. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

I have used the restore from time machine method, and it does restore everything.

All you have to do is install the new drive. Insert the OS X Install Disc 1 and when the installer appears, choose Restore from Time Machine from the menubar.

It will take a little big of time, but it works and everything is there.

7. aelizalde thread starter macrumors newbie

aelizalde

thanks for all the help guys...just to be sure i'm going to post step by step what i'm going to do and just tell me if i missed anything. :]

1. Remove original hardrive
    2. install new hardrive
    3. turn on macbook
    4. insert leopard install disc
    5. connect external hardrive
    6. select time machine backup

look right?
    thanks for your patience.

8. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

That's all. It will take a while, depending on how much stuff you have to restore.

9. aelizalde thread starter macrumors newbie

aelizalde

ok so i was attempting to do this last night and ran into a few problems

after selecting back up from time machine it then goes to a page where it's supposed to find a destination. it can't see my hard drive even though it's there! i know it recognizes it because in the disk utilty my hard drive is there, i partioned it too. the thing i dont get is that if i act like i'm going to install leoapord from the disk on the new hard drive it has no problem recognizing it.

any help?

10. aelizalde thread starter macrumors newbie

aelizalde

11. kastenbrust macrumors 68030

kastenbrust

You did format the Hard Drive using Disk Utilities in the HFS+ format didn't you?

12. aelizalde thread starter macrumors newbie

aelizalde

yes i did, and even after that it couldn't find it.

however, i just tried to restore it again and magically it found it and it is now being restored....i guess it just took 24 hours to find. heh.

thanks guys