Question about having 3G network on or off

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by sangs, Oct 12, 2009.

1. sangs macrumors newbie

Love my iPhone. That said, I notice a huge difference in battery life when in my home as opposed to out and about.

In my house, I get maybe a bar, sometimes two regularly, with no 3G indicator - ever. And quite frankly the battery discharges rather rapidly. (I also had poor in-house coverage when I used Verizon, so please, don't just rip on AT&T for that.)

Leave my house and it's pretty much full bars, 3G all the time in my neighborhood and the areas I frequent. And the battery takes forever to discharge.

So my question is, should I turn off the 3G network when in the house? Is the iPhone constantly searching for a 3G connection and that's why the battery goes down so rapidly? Or is that going to happen whether I leave 3G on or not. Thoughts?

2. pfft macrumors regular

turn it off and see if it's better (it should be), if it is then leave it that way.

if you want.

or don't.

3. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

If you're not getting a 3G signal, then it's best to just turn it off when you're in the house.

You may also want to pester AT&T about their microcell, and see about getting one for your home.

4. sangs thread starter macrumors newbie

Eh, maybe, but it really doesn't bother me. I have wi-fi in the house and still make/receive calls and texts just fine (knock wood), even without the 3G.