Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

errdayimhustln

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 11, 2011
I just bought the new 13 inch i5 Macbook Pro a few months ago and I noticed that when I watch HD video it skips and stutters (720p and 1080p). I've tried different players and I get the same results. It occasionally happens when watching HD flash video too. I'm thinking it's the hard drive because this computer should be fast enough to handle these video files. Any thoughts on what might be the cause? Btw I have the stock 5400 320gb drive.

Philflow

macrumors 65816
May 7, 2008
The hard drive is more than fast enough.

Are these movies you have downloaded on your HDD?
If so, try VLC player.

errdayimhustln

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 11, 2011
I'll try VLC. I didn't even know vlc was on mac. I was using Mplayer, I guess it probably sucks. Does perian suck because I get skipping with some movies too.

Philflow

macrumors 65816
May 7, 2008
Vlc on Mac works great. I like it even better than on Windows because it has two finger horizontal scolling.

Nuckinfuts

macrumors 6502
Jun 15, 2011
Syracuse, NY
Vlc on Mac works great. I like it even better than on Windows because it has two finger horizontal scolling.

I didn't know that! thanks lol

Perian+QTX works fine for 720p/1080p for me and i have a 2010 13" MBP

Are you running anything else in the background and what type of files are they?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.