Question about HDD Space?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by i4k20c, Nov 19, 2008.

1. i4k20c macrumors 6502a

i4k20c

Hello; i feel like my memory is being eaten somewhere. I remember in the past, i had this problem, and there was a preference file that was allowed to grow astromical in size and was 10gigs big. I am not sure if that is the problem (can't find it again on gooogle though); but here is my question.

It says my HD is 74.41gb big; and it says my home folder is 35.73gb. This should leave me with 38.68gb no? I am sure my home folder doesn't include the leopard install itself and OS files; but that can't be more than 4-5gigs? So i shoud have around 30gigs free i believe; however, it states i only have 15.38gb free.

Help? :eek:

2. Vader macrumors 65816

Vader

Your Applications can be pretty hefty as well if you have iLife. The leopard install with iLife is around 15gb. Also, if you restart, you will probably notice about 2gb more space free depending on how long your computer has been on and how much ram you have.

3. mkelly macrumors regular

How large is your Applications folder?

4. i4k20c thread starter macrumors 6502a

i4k20c

i thought my application folder was included in my home folder; i guess not. :(

my application folder is 4.26gb; so this now leaves me with a theoretical 34.42gb free (not including the OS itself)

about the OS & ilife: I took out some of the ilife apps, notably Garageband which was taking up quite a bit of space and i never used.

5. BobZune macrumors 6502a

Get a file size display program like GrandPerspective and let it scan the drive and show you the size in graphical blocks, and be careful with what you delete.

6. wordmunger macrumors 603

wordmunger

7. bengal85 macrumors regular

bengal85

I noticed this when I had my Imac some apps are huge

8. belvdr macrumors 603

Yeah, or do a:
    Code:
    cd / ; sudo du -sk * | sort -n
    in Terminal to get an ascending order list of size in KB.