Question about Headphone Bluetooth Pairing

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by realpras, Sep 25, 2016.

1. realpras macrumors regular

realpras

Hi guys, just a quick question. As can be seen from the video, his iPhone will automatically detect there's a Beats headphone nearby and give the option to connect. This will happen with the new AirPods as well.

My question is, how do the headphones know which iPhone to connect? For example, if there are more than one iPhone in a room, will all devices get the option to connect to the headphones? How to make sure that this headphone will connect to my iPhone and not anyone else in the room (given that they have the option to pair the headphones to their iPhone, too)

Sorry if this has been asked before. Thank you!

2. bhayes444 macrumors 6502a

It will try to connect to the closest iPhone. Once initially paired it will remember the connection and it will not try to connect to other iPhones in a room, unless they are using your iCloud account. The iCloud account is used to propagate the headphone connection settings to all devices you are signed in to.

3. realpras thread starter macrumors regular

realpras

Yes, I know that once it's paired it will use your iCloud account to seamlessly connect to other devices that use your iCloud too. I was just curious how it choose which iPhone to connect to initially, when there are more than one iPhone in the room. Thanks, now I got it!