Question about how a Family Pack works?

TantalizedMind

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 5, 2007
Hey guys.

1. I know it's illegal, but is it possible to buy one copy of Leopard, and install it in other Macs too?

2. Lets say you install the "Family Pack" Leopard on two Macs. Then a year down the road you clean-install Leopard again on those two original Macs.... Now would you only have one use left, or it still knows it has three Macs left?

Thanks in advance!

flopticalcube

macrumors G4
1. Illegal but physically possible.

2. Its not uses, its machines. You can install it as many times as you want on 5 machines. It doesn't know anything. There is no activation. It doesn't register the use with Apple. There is no security of any kind.

Comment

TantalizedMind

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 5, 2007
2. Its not uses, its machines. You can install it as many times as you want on 5 machines. It doesn't know anything. There is no activation. It doesn't register the use with Apple. There is no security of any kind.
If none of the discs know how many people used it, or how many times its been installed... then what's the point of buying a Family Pack?

It would be impossible for anyone to get in trouble.

Comment

rmh

macrumors regular
Sep 12, 2007
Texas
If none of the discs know how many people used it, or how many times its been installed... then what's the point of buying a Family Pack?

It would be impossible for anyone to get in trouble.
But could you live with yourself knowing you cheated Apple and all of its developers that worked around the clock to bring you the software? :eek:

Comment

TantalizedMind

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 5, 2007
1. Illegal but physically possible.

Is iWork the same principal?

Comment

dj420118

macrumors regular
May 17, 2006
When i called apple asking about the family pack the guy on the phone, who is also in my dilemma having three macs, suggested that i split it with my friends. So if a guy from apple is telling me to do it, it must be ok?:D

Comment

DeaconGraves

macrumors 65816
Apr 25, 2007
Dallas, TX
When i called apple asking about the family pack the guy on the phone, who is also in my dilemma having three macs, suggested that i split it with my friends. So if a guy from apple is telling me to do it, it must be ok?:D
Well you bought five licenses, so you might as well put them all to use somewhere.

Comment