Question about how iCloud photos is supposed to sync

Discussion in 'Apple Music, Apple Pay, iCloud, Apple Services' started by camner, Jul 26, 2015.

1. camner macrumors regular

I have iCloud photos turned on in all of my iDevices and also use the Mac OS X (Yosemite) Photos app.

I took some photos on my iPhone 5S this morning, and 6 hours later they had not synced to iCloud, but I understand (I think) that this is expected behavior, that until (a) the iPhone is fully charged and (b) hooked to Wifi the sync won't take place. Correct?

I then connected my iPhone to a charger and verified that there was a working Wifi connection. Shortly thereafter, looking at the OS X Photos app I saw that the photos were present under the Import heading in the sidebar under the name of my iPhone. So, far so good.

BUT, looking at iCloud.com the photos were nowhere to be seen! I waited an hour, and they still were not there.

I then went back to the OS X Photos app and clicked "import." Within a minute, they were visible on iCloud.com.

What I do not understand is why it was necessary to manually import the images using the OS X Photos app in order for the pix to be visible on iCloud.com. Should that be happening automatically?

2. Paco II macrumors 65816

Photos should sync automatically to all devices that have it enabled. Photos should sync when in Wi-Fi, but I don't think the phone needs to be plugged in. If photos are not syncing to iCloud.com, make sure it is enabled on your phone. Check to make sure it isn't stuck trying to upload.