Question about how to hook up my surround sound.

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by stateofmind, Mar 17, 2008.

1. stateofmind macrumors regular

I know this has nothing to do with macs, but the community is very helpful so I thought to take a shot.

Im planning on buying a PS3 and get a surround sound system. So, if I have all the equipment in front of me (TV, PS3, Home Entertainment System) and HDMI cables.

How would I go about connecting them? I dont need anything specific, just what would connect to what?

Cable box <-HDMI-> Surround sound
    PS3 <-HDMI-> Surround sound? How would the picture get to the TV?

Sorry for being such a noob.

2. fanbrain macrumors 6502

fanbrain

If your surround system has video inputs (I don't know why it wouldn't), just plug each device (cable box, PS3) into the receiver inputs via HDMI, and it will know what to do with them. The TV is plugged into the HDMI output from the receiver.

You should then be able to switch between the sources via your remote. Mute the TV sound and you're good to go.

It's quite simple really. The manual will lay it out for you.

3. skiesforme macrumors 6502

skiesforme

FYI, www.monoprice.com when it's time to buy. Don't go for Monster/THX certified stuff. I made this mistake on my 1st digital co-ax cable :)

4. benjaminbr macrumors member

If your home theater doesn't take hdmi, then connect your ps3 to the tv w/ hdmi, and your ps3 to your home theater with with an optical cable. Then select optical output on your ps3 audio options.