Question about how to jb and resync replacement iPhone

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by sammjordan, Feb 12, 2010.

1. sammjordan macrumors member

Hope this hasn't been asked before, but I have a jailbroken iPhone 3g running 3.1.2 that has dust under the screen..I was going to restore it to factory settings and take it to the genius bar for a replacement..assuming they give me a replacement, what would be the best way to restore it? Jailbreak first and then restore from backup? Or vice versa? Thanks in advance!

2. pcs are junk macrumors 65816

the best way is to download PkgBackup from Cydia. Click Backup, sync with itunes, then put ur device in dfu and then restore and setup as a new phone. I normally do dfu mode restores because i feel its a lot safer and completely erases everything. I'm not sure if its the same for a regular restore, but i always do that just to be on the safe side. when you get back, restore from your backup, jailbreak with redsn0w 0.9.4, cuz u can jailbreak 3.1.3 on a 3g, open cydia, and get PkgBackup again and click restore. it will start to download your packages again.

3. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

Well if you restore it right now, Itunes will want you to take it up to 3.1.3. So you better hope they will exchange it.

4. ngenerator macrumors 68000

ngenerator

The OP has a 3G, iTunes won't care at all in his case