Question about iAd requests

Discussion in 'iOS Programming' started by Danneman101, Sep 7, 2010.

1. Danneman101 macrumors 6502

First of all I just want to make sure Im getting what is what: "request" is when an ad-link is shown, and "impression" is when the user actually clicks one of these ad-links.

And you get paid for both requests and impressions.

So how does the number of requests register? If app 1 has one view with an iAd, and app 2 has two views with an iAd each, given that a user spends an equal amount of time with both apps (but with app 2 the user actually visits both views), does the "register"-count of app 1 amount to one, and two for app 2? Or is a new request recorded only once during a certain time-interval for a specific app, meaning that having a loop that repetedly opens a new view with a new iad wont generate any more income than one with only one view (supposing such an app would pass the approval :p )?

2. dejo Moderator

dejo

Staff Member

Nope. "Request" is when your app, as the name suggests, requests an ad to be served/displayed; there is no guarantee that you will get an actual response. Fill-rate is based on this: impressions / requests. "Impression" is the ad served as a response to the request and has nothing to do with the ad being clicked. Impressions are paid on a CPM (cost per mille) rate.

3. Danneman101 thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks for clearing that out :)

So what determines the fill-rate? Is it based on the popularity of the app (more popular apps gets more impressions), or is it simply random?

And more importantly, is there a time-limit for each app to make a request? If I as a developer want to be ugly about it, could I in theory (because it's a stupid way to go about it) have a loop that infinitely with for instance a 2 seconds intervall opens a new view with a new iAd?

Or maybe there is a cap on how many (not the ratio) impressions an app can get no matter how many request are made?

The reason Im wondering is essentially to know if there is an incentive to divide the content into smaller portions (ie. views), or if it's all the same to have on view with all the content.

4. dejo Moderator

dejo

Staff Member

You could try but you'd be violating the iAd Network Contract you agreed to (see Section 3(a) Valid Impressions).

5. Danneman101 thread starter macrumors 6502

Thankfully Im not desperate enough to try something like that which is an obvious violation :)

However, I do have an app where the information is viewed in one single view and it's getting pretty congested and loads quite slowly.

So Im thinking of splitting it upp into sections (ie. various views linked to by yet another level in the table-hierarchy) which would make the app slightly more easily navigated for the user.

So the intent of this thread was really just to see if such a change would also in effect increase the iAd's revenue, thus adding a bit more of an incentive to see this trough.

6. johnyalacy macrumors newbie

Could you help ?

Could you help ? could you say more where you found info about valid impressions. I cannot find any info how to show proper iAd to have proper CTR..

7. dejo Moderator

dejo

Staff Member

Define "proper". As to where the info is to be found, check the "Contracts, Tax, and Banking" section of your iTunes Connect.