Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

1appleAday

macrumors regular
Mar 27, 2008
So the books are tied to the iTunes account, like kindle books are tied to the amazon account? That means we don't need to / can't back up the books we purchased on another computer?

Runt888

macrumors 6502a
Nov 17, 2008
So the books are tied to the iTunes account, like kindle books are tied to the amazon account? That means we don't need to / can't back up the books we purchased on another computer?

You should back up ibooks the same way you back up songs purchased from iTunes.

1appleAday

macrumors regular
Mar 27, 2008
You should back up ibooks the same way you back up songs purchased from iTunes.

When I connect my iPad to my laptop, iTunes pops up. I can see the books listed under my iPad, but iTunes doesn't sync the books I bought to my iTunes library on my laptop. There's not even an iBooks category in iTunes (unlike Apps, music or video). So how do I back up the books? Any suggestions will be much appreciated!

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
When I connect my iPad to my laptop, iTunes pops up. I can see the books listed under my iPad, but iTunes doesn't sync the books I bought to my iTunes library on my laptop. There's not even an iBooks category in iTunes (unlike Apps, music or video). So how do I back up the books? Any suggestions will be much appreciated!

Edit > Preferences > General
check "Books"

Now you should have a "Books" category along with Music, Movies, etc. Your purchased books should show up there.

Runt888

macrumors 6502a
Nov 17, 2008

Edit > Preferences > General
check "Books"

Now you should have a "Books" category along with Music, Movies, etc. Your purchased books should show up there.

Also, your books are stored in the same location as your music (authors in place of artists). If you are already backing up your music, then your books should get backed up too.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.