Question about iChat and MS Office '08

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Caralvarez24, Aug 26, 2008.

1. Caralvarez24 macrumors regular

I notice that both iChat and Office '08 put a folder inside my documents folder titled iChats and Microsoft User Data, respectively. Just wondering what these folders are for and whether there is any way to stop them from putting that folder in there.

2. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

They're for your iChats and Microsoft User Data, respectively.

Leave them there, they're important and take up three bytes. If you don't have enough hard drive space for them, you need to consider deleting some things.

3. Sojourn macrumors member

Just in case that answer didn't completely satisfy you ;), the iChats folder stores transcripts of your chat sessions, which I find to be quite handy sometimes. The transcripts are very small in size, though, so you shouldn't have to worry about the folder taking up too much space.

Hope this helps,
    Sojourn

4. Caralvarez24 thread starter macrumors regular

ok thanks, no problem with HD space, was just wondering what they were

5. Sojourn macrumors member

I know that sometimes, even when hard drive space isn't an issue, I still don't want to have any folders that aren't necessary/that I didn't set up myself. I've found that with cases like this, though, you don't want to get rid of these application-made folders, since they will often get re-established by the application anyway, not to mention possibly messing things up in the process.

Not that it sounded like you were planning on getting rid of them, but just in case. :)

Take care,
    Sojourn