Question about if its worth upgrading or just buying a Mac Pro

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Rafalski24, Sep 15, 2010.

1. Rafalski24 macrumors regular

So here is my question:
    I am currently using my uMBP (specs in my signiture), I am mostly using it for school work (in college) using stuff like word, excel, nothing too strenuous. But I am a broadcast production major, and would love to use it for more then that. I have been saving up for a Mac Pro for a while and as they are pretty darn expensive am not very close to getting one. I have access to a Mac Pro at school, but only make it to the edit bay once a week or so, and not for personal projects. I would love to hone my skills and use the software I am learning more often. When I try to use my laptop I get frustrated using things like Final Cut, After Effects, and Photoshop. Do you guys think is is worth spending some money now on upgrading to 8GB of RAM (getting a bunch of page outs once I actually open FCP, CS5, etc.) and maybe getting one of those newfangled hybrid HDD's? It would definitely mean putting off on the Mac Pro for a while. Worth it? Or should I just continue to save and get a mac pro sooner rather then later? Thanks for your input.

2. Hisdem macrumors 6502a

Hisdem

I don't do any kind of actually demanding jobs, but if you feel like you don't need the portability, I would save up for a Mac Pro, as it will get the job done a hell of a lot faster, and will last you way longer.

3. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

There's no doubt that a Mac Pro will speed up your projects but as a student, I think a Mac Pro is an expensive purchase to hone your skills. Your Core 2 Duo MacBook Pro, although "old", is still solid and should do fine in those applications. If you're looking for more performance, maybe 8GB of RAM is something you might want to get as well as a SSD. Those should boost performance a bit and is far less expensive than a Mac Pro.