Question about iLife '08

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by GrimmPenguin, Aug 27, 2007.

1. GrimmPenguin macrumors regular

Is it compatible with the PB 12" 1.5GHz? I know it's a little too low for the requirements of it, but will it still work?

For instance, iMovie requires more than what the PB offers, so will iMovie '08 not work at all?

If that's the case then I'm gonna stick with '06.

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

The other apps should be fine. I'm not sure if it'll let you install iMovie though...

3. kretzy macrumors 604

kretzy

Yeah, iMovie won't install on any G4 machine but all of the rest of the apps should (need a superdrive for iDVD too). If you do get iLife '08 Apple make iMovie '06 a free download.

4. GrimmPenguin thread starter macrumors regular

Hrm... would it be best to just stick with iLife '06?

5. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Well it depends on whether you think the new features of the other apps are worth the price of upgrading. I personally barely ever use iMovie so whether or not I could install it would be a moot point.

6. puckhead193 macrumors G3

puckhead193

:eek::eek: not that i use imovie, i have FCS but still thats annoying...
    my pb will work with fcs2 but not imovie... something's wrong here

7. sananda macrumors 68020

magic garageband doesn't work on my 1.33 GHz ibook with 1.5GB RAM. doesn't really work on my 1.9GHz G5 either.

8. GrimmPenguin thread starter macrumors regular

Well the main thing I will be using is GarageBand. I like some of the new features, but if iMovie won't work at all, or I can't install the older version for free, then I see no sense in upgrading. I need iMovie, I just won't use it near as much as GarageBand.

9. OldCorpse macrumors 65816

OldCorpse

There are versions of iMovie 08 floating out there which work on all G4s, but ask yourself why you want iMovie 08 - it's a huge step backwards from iMovie 06, to the point where Apple had to offer free downloads of iMovie 06 to those who bought iLife08, cause there was so much rage out there once purchasers figured out the deficiency of iMovie 08. Even David Pogue (NYTimes) columnist who is a huge Apple fanboi reamed Apple for stripping out features from 06 and going backwards in iMovie08 capability. The only thing you could say is that 08 may be somewhat easier to use for a complete novice - but at a cost of removing power. In fact, there are some extremely basic features missing from 08 which make it the most feature poor vid editing software on the market. Read the reviews, and then decide if you really want that junk.

10. XheartcoreboyX macrumors 6502a

XheartcoreboyX

why dont you just buy one of the modern machines instead?:rolleyes:

11. sananda macrumors 68020

it's not a bloody antique that he's running!

12. GrimmPenguin thread starter macrumors regular

Hrm... that sounds interesting. And looking at what you are talking about, I'm not sure either... If I can get iLife 08' and download iMovie '06 for free, then I will just go ahead and get it. But then again I may just stick with iLife '06 for now. It just depends on how things go. Thanks everyone for your help.

13. cookieme macrumors regular

I'm about to do a clean install of Tiger and I was wondering whether to install the the old iLife '06 apps that are bundled on my MPB installation DVD or just skip them and once the OS is installed, go ahead with iLife '08 installation. Any comments? Thanks.

14. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

cookieme, installing the iLife 06 apps would seem like a waste of time if you're just going to be replacing them with iLife 08 straight after.

15. cookieme macrumors regular

Yeah, I agree mad jew. I just wanted to check. Toda. ;)