Question about iMac before Genius visit asap

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Makaveli6103, Oct 22, 2011.

1. Makaveli6103 macrumors 6502

I am going to the Genius bar to get my yellow tint issue fixed on my 27" 2011 iMac. I installed a SSD myself and was wondering should I remove it before I take it in? Or will they even notice it if they just replace the screen?

2. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

Wirelessly posted (iPhone 4S: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A334 Safari/7534.48.3)

They're not going to care about the SSD. Don't sweat it.

3. simsaladimbamba

They will notice it, as it is visible:
    [​IMG]

The HDD is also not user replaceable, thus they might accuse you of voiding the warranty.

4. Makaveli6103 thread starter macrumors 6502

Thing is I damaged the displayport cable for the screen when adding my SSD. the clip is broken off but it still connects and works. This Cable

5. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

Wirelessly posted (iPhone 4S: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A334 Safari/7534.48.3)

Well, now you may encounter an issue from Apple. I suggest you be honest and tell them up front what you did and be nice about it. They may have mercy on you and take care of it anyway.

6. Makaveli6103 thread starter macrumors 6502

What if I play dumb? Ha

7. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

They're not dumb. When they open it up, they'll see what you did and know. Then they'll think you're dishonest and won't help you, unless you want to pay.

8. Macsparky macrumors newbie

I've worked in the service industry for many years, being honest will go along way, just tell them what you have done and I'm sure you will get way better results than "playing dumb" ...... They may even through in a cable while there at it...... Don't play games you'll loose for sure....:apple:

9. Makaveli6103 thread starter macrumors 6502

Yea gooo idea. I just dont want to get in trouble for adding my SSD. But I wont lie if they ask me if they ask me about the cable. Thanks though

10. Makaveli6103 thread starter macrumors 6502

I didnt remove the HDD I just added a SSD

11. robgendreau macrumors 68030

Opening it voids your warranty. They don't have to do spit for you. You're essentially a charity case, so behave accordingly. Even if they say they won't replace it for you, you might get a break on repair costs.

Good luck.

Rob

12. Makaveli6103 thread starter macrumors 6502

IDK if opening voids warranty. Because there is only one sticker on the inside that says if you remove it voids your warranty. The screen uniformity problem was in no way from what I did. If I did break something else while adding the SSD I would pay for the repairs. But to get the LCD replaced I will not pay for since it was bad from day 1. But we will see what happens. Thanks

13. Lashi macrumors newbie

That's not true! You can certainly open your Mac to perform your own upgrades on two conditions: you don't damage it (oops), or if the part you are upgrading is either the HDD or a RAM upgrade. Those can be upgraded by the user on an iMac at any time! Your solid state drive will be very accepted by the Genius at your store. He may even high five you for it. However, do as others have recommended and be honest about the damaged cable. Just tell them up front, and you'll be better off for it.

14. antman2x2 macrumors 6502a

15. Makaveli6103 thread starter macrumors 6502

I took it in and they did some test screens and agreed it needs to be replaced. They did not have any on hand so they are going to call me when they get more and I need to drop it off to get replaced. They said it would take 1-3 days, which I don't understand because it takes me 10 min to take the screen off.

16. wrinkster22 macrumors 68030

wrinkster22

be grateful they are replacing it at all. Note you are not the only one who needs servicing at apple and many others may be also waiting who put there repair order earlier than you :)

17. Makaveli6103 thread starter macrumors 6502

True. Funny thing is that they initially told me 3-5 days but then later I mentioned I purchased it with my friends apple discount they came back and told me 1-3 days.

18. Makaveli6103 thread starter macrumors 6502

I got my iMac back today with no questions asked. They didn't mention the broken cable or the SSD. Also they exchanged my wireless keyboard for a wired keyboard with keypad for free! Only bad thing is I got home and the H key does not work...

19. Rychy macrumors 6502

... swapping a wireless for a wired sounds like a bad deal to be me. I'd go get a replacement for my wireless.

Glad you got your screen fixed though.

20. macmastersam macrumors 6502a

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-gb) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

Well thats another problem, which can be sorted by getting another wired keyboard with numpad or sort out the 'h' key yourself or go to the geniuses ONCE again to sort the keyboard. And also, they gave you the Wired keyboard with numpad for free because it's free when you do the build to order online option.

21. Slow Programmer, Oct 29, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 29, 2011

Slow Programmer macrumors regular

You don't have to open an iMac to replace the RAM. While I have replaced the hard drive on old iMacs I would not even try on an in-warranty machine. Just not really a user serviceable component and if Apple wanted to deny warranty coverage I am sure they could.

From the 2011 manual:
    WARNING: Apple recommends that you have an Apple-certified technician install memory. See “AppleCare Service and Support” on page 63 for information about how to contact Apple for service. If you attempt to install memory and damage your equipment, that damage isn’t covered by the limited warranty on your iMac.

WARNING: Do not attempt to open your iMac, except to install memory. If your iMac needs service, see “Learning More, Service, and Support” on page 62 for information about how to contact Apple or an Apple Authorized Service Provider for service. Your iMac doesn’t have any user-serviceable parts, except the memory.

Do Not Make Repairs Yourself
    Your iMac has no user-serviceable parts, except the keyboard, mouse, and memory (see “Installing Memory” on page 39). Do not attempt to open your iMac. If your iMac needs service, contact an Apple Authorized Service Provider or Apple for service. See “Learning More, Service, and Support” on page 62.
    If you open your iMac or install items other than memory, you risk damaging your equipment. Such damage isn’t covered by the limited warranty on your iMac.

22. Makaveli6103 thread starter macrumors 6502

Yea I knew it was a free option when ordering online but didn't think they would do it.

----------

What I get from this is that opening it does not void you warranty. But if you brake it the damage is not covered.

23. macmastersam macrumors 6502a

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-gb) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

I was just letting you know just in case you were real happy the fact that you thought that apple had gave you a great deal. But really you weren't. :apple: