Question about iMac G4 thermal paste...

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by jbarley, Mar 9, 2017.

1. jbarley macrumors 68030

jbarley

Just how critical or necessary is redoing the thermal paste when upgrading the internal ram stick in a G4 iMac.
    The iFixit guide I've located makes no mention of thermal paste whatsoever.

2. bunnspecial macrumors 603

bunnspecial

I consider it essential to any incursion into the "dome."

Unfortunately, it's a messy job and I almost always end up with some on the outside. Fortunately, a little bit of rubbing alcohol will clean it up without too much fuss.

3. CooperBox macrumors 6502a

CooperBox

I have a 20" that has been running for some time without re-applicaton of paste.
    I'd changed the HD and after thorough cleaning of both location faces, found myself with a dried-up tube of thermal paste. Perhaps foolhardy, but I decided to refit the base regardless. That same iMac has been running faultlessly even with extensive use of music videos, so I assume that it has a fairly high tolerance for high temperatures. Having said that, as this serves as a valid reminder of an additional task to be performed, it will be completed this weekend.
    For info, the early G4 iMacs have the one location for application of thermal paste. Later ones (believe it's the USB 2 models) have two separate locations that require thermal paste application. I'll post photos when I get a moment.

4. fhall1 macrumors 68040

fhall1

You're tempting fate running without the paste....the biggest killer of electronics is heat. I'd hate to see a great machine like the iMac G4 killed needlessly when it could be saved for $7 worth of thermal paste.

5. Eriamjh1138@DAN macrumors 6502

Eriamjh1138@DAN

Paste is cheap. Get some and use it. Don't take a chance.

6. jbarley thread starter macrumors 68030

jbarley

Ready and waiting...
    got some thermal paste and a new pram battery, just waiting for the ram modules to arrive so I get on with the upgrades.

7. Nice macrumors regular

Nice

I've done it also. It's not a big job, just do it to be sure.

8. RhianB macrumors 6502

RhianB

yeah, paste is cheap and easy. Ive done this to most every computer I own - most recently I redid the CPU & GPU paste on a trash picked compaq that I'll give to a coworker's son. Rubbing alcohol cleans up the old paste and any drips effortlessly.