Question about iMac storage?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Devlin234, Apr 13, 2013.

1. Devlin234 macrumors member

I'm new to Macs. I don't have one yet but I'm thinking about getting my first Mac. I'm going to be getting the 27 inch late 2012 iMac. But I'm curious about the storage. I was thinking about getting a 3TB fusion drive but I've seen alot of threads/posts talking about how their hard drives failed within a month. My other choice would be the 768GB SSD but I would prefer the 3TB fusion drive. But my question is, are the people saying they're hard drive failed within a month just unlucky or is the 3TB fusion drive just more prone to crashing? Is there a specific hard drive that ships with the 3TB fusion drive that's not as efficient? Thanks! (BTW I'm relatively new to posting so sorry if I did something wrong)

2. All Taken macrumors 6502a

All the iMac models with either 3TB standalone or 3TB fusion all use the same drives - all that I have repaired have been 3TB Barracudas. The failure rate of these 3TB drives is exactly the same as any other, there is no faulty 3TB model at play in Apples current lineup. If you're unlucky enough to have a failed drive a backup is something you should always maintain and don't forget everything has 1 year warranty anyway. I'm sure you'll be just fine.

3. Ddyracer macrumors 68000

Ddyracer

I wouldn't worry about it. Get either the SSD or FD unless financially you can't.

The complaints are not major.

4. Devlin234 thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the quick reply! I was also going to purchase the three year AppleCare. Does apple care cover hard drives that fail? And to back up my hard drive would you recommend time capsule?

----------

Thanks for the reply! Just out of curiosity (assuming you do own a Mac) what do you have storage wise for your Mac?

5. All Taken macrumors 6502a

It does indeed, any fault with the machine due to manufacturer defect is covered. To backup the machine I would recommend any external hard drive or time capsule as you said.

6. Ddyracer macrumors 68000

Ddyracer

Yes, I have a old 9,1 iMac, with a 1tb HDD.

7. Devlin234 thread starter macrumors member

Ok well thank you very much for the info! I really appreciate it!

----------

Thanks for the quck replies you guys!:)

8. Lancer macrumors 68020

Lancer

Personally I went for the 1Tb Fusion because I have around 13Tb of external storage which was never going to fit on the 3Tb so why waste money on the bigger internal storage?

Other might need 3Tb internal for video work or just don't have/need external HDDs but with cheap external options and network storage there are plenty of other options.

But no matter what you do you should always backup so if your HDD or SSD fails you don't loose everything.