Question about iMac

Discussion in 'iMac' started by GunsUp, Jan 4, 2012.

1. GunsUp macrumors member

Hello everyone!

This is my first post, but I have looked around and haven't got an answer yet.

As a disabled 24 year old Marine Corps vet, money is short, I need the power of a MAC and I had my MacBook Pro stolen from me after being injured in Iraq. I am doing mainly graphics editing and helping my brother with footage from his hunting show. With the iMac 2 GB Graphics 6970, will it suffice 1440p footage? I may be thinking 1080p... sorry if its a mixup. Either way here are the questions.

:: I am looking at 27" iMac i7 8GB 1TB 7200RPM 2GB 6970 GFX ::

Will it handle raw hd footage at all?

Does apple do veteran/disabled discounts (since all I get is VA disability) and its not that much let alone not on time half of the time?

I am looking at getting it soon, but only have about 1000.00 saved over the last 6 months. Worth trying to get a loan now and purchase, or just keep waiting more and more for a refresh?

Will it overheat with HD footage (to anyone that has messed with it before)?

Thank You very Much!

2. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

I can't advise you on the Vet disability side of things, that's something you would need to talk to Apple about. But I have a machine very similar to the one you are proposing to buy.

Mine is used for video and high end photo work. I7 (top end) 16GB RAM (helps a lot) 2GB graphics and you are good to go, it will eat anything you throw at it.

I hope you receive a discount too.

3. GunsUp thread starter macrumors member

Nice Machine!

So you would recommend a 16gb RAM addition instead of 8?

Nice, how well does it convert the footage, or is that just a dependency of type and resolution?

4. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

Yes, it gives it the extra ummph....It wasn't slow before, but with 16GB it really renders faster and multi tasking is also better. I also have an MBP 17" with 8GB but the iMac eats eat for breakfast.

I use the MBP for transfer of files from the studio now, all the heavy lifting is done on the iMac.

5. GunsUp thread starter macrumors member

Well you helped me make the choice!

Will go ahead and grab a loan and order it!

Thank you sir!

6. AdrianK macrumors 68020

Don't buy it with the RAM upgrade! You can buy the RAM yourself and install it (it's a very simple, 3 minute job) a lot cheaper than the upgrade price from Apple.

7. GunsUp thread starter macrumors member

Ahhhh! seriously? Ok. Where would I be best off as in site/store and which company of ram?

8. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

Good advice.....Should have said that...Crucial are MUCH cheaper, and it's an easy job which won't effect your warranty

9. GunsUp thread starter macrumors member

Great! I really like these forums, getting help like no other. I appreciate it, all of you! Thanks! Anymore tricks i should know?

I purchased 3 SSD's 512gb (Amazon had a price error) and were forced to sell the SATA III for 142.00 each

10. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

Not really, but any problems and you know where to come! :)

11. AdrianK macrumors 68020

A lot of people swear by Crucial/Corsair/Kingston memory.

You could buy this 8GB kit (2*4GB) for $40. Then in addition to the 2*2GB already in the machine you'd have 12GB... for $40. Bear in mind that Apple charges $200 just for going from 4GB to 8GB.

12. GunsUp thread starter macrumors member

do they have 4 slots on the 27"? and would it be ok to do it before i turn on the imac the 1st time ever?

13. AdrianK macrumors 68020

Yes and yes :)

14. GunsUp thread starter macrumors member

Thanks! So I can purchase 2 of those 8 gigs you sent me and put them in!

15. jackoatmon macrumors 6502a

jackoatmon

Just wanted to chime in and say it's an amazing machine for editing HD footage. That's what I do with mine. Shoot 1080x1900 on a Canon 60D and it's smooth as butter.

Good luck!

16. GunsUp thread starter macrumors member

Oh Nice! That is the camera my brother uses, THANKS AGAIN!!

Ya'll made my night, cant sleep and all the pain meds im on arnt working so I'm being productive!

17. MrNomNoms macrumors 65816

MrNomNoms

My brother is doing engineering on a similar specced computer - that will definitely handle the kind of work that you'll need to be done.

18. AdrianK macrumors 68020

Yes, pulling the two modules in the iMac and adding 4 4GB modules would work (the iMac's limitation is 32GB of RAM).

19. GunsUp thread starter macrumors member

Well thanks everyone for the help. Come to find out no discounts so I have to wait about 7 more months.

20. dwaldrop macrumors newbie

CHeck Refurbs

If money is a concern, don't forget to check the refurbs on the Apple store web site. They are top quality, covered by full Apple warranty and very well prepared. The refurbished items I have purchased from Apple have been better than new items from other companies.

21. GunsUp thread starter macrumors member

Oh yeah! Thank you! I totally forgot bout refurbs!