Question about IMAP and GMAIL

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by hokiepokie07, Jul 4, 2009.

1. hokiepokie07 macrumors 6502a

it seemed like POP was much easier for me.

Now I have all these e-mail boxes popping up everywhere.

I've searched online but I'm getting mixed answers on what to do.

I followed the gmail guideline, but I get all these extra boxes, and now I've lost my default "trash" on my apple 3.0 mailbox.

any help?

2. siurpeeman macrumors 603

siurpeeman

if i think i know what you're talking about, the extra mailboxes are your various gmail labels. having all these folders bothered me, too. fortunately, there's a gmail labs setting ("advanced imap controls") that will allow you to customize which ones show and which ones don't. i hope this answers your question.

3. hokiepokie07 thread starter macrumors 6502a

is there anyway to get my trash folder back under "mailboxes?" Not under [gmail] but mailboxes?

whenever I delete something from my apple 3.0 mailbox it does not go into my "trash"

How can I fix that? thanks!

4. siurpeeman macrumors 603

siurpeeman

that i can't answer. gmail's always been a little wonky like that for me. instead of moving to the trash, it applies a "deleted messages" label and hides it somewhere. i've never been able to figure it out.

5. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

On your iPhone, go to Settings > Mail, Contacts, Calendar > your gmail account > Advanced > Deleted Mailbox.

You control what appears and where the deleted messages go. In my case, I have deleted messages going to "Deleted Messages" under On the Server. You can try clicking on "Trash" under On My iPhone.

6. hokiepokie07 thread starter macrumors 6502a

ok got that working!

no idea how.

is there anyway to get rid of the whole folder of 'gmail'?

ok now i have the trash and spam and sent mail sent right.

I can live with just an empty [gmail] folder sitting there for now.

thanks all!

7. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

You can't open and close [gmail] folder and you certainly don't want to get rid of it. "All Mail" works exactly like on the gmail site and "Sent Mail" brings up messages you sent from the gmail site and not necessarily from your iPhone.

8. hokiepokie07 thread starter macrumors 6502a

i just went to the spam and click "used this as junk" and did sent messages "used this as sent mail" so I can have it organized easier.