Question about iMessage on Mountain Lion

Discussion in 'OS X Mountain Lion (10.8)' started by Jamie0003, Jul 6, 2012.

1. Jamie0003 macrumors 6502a

Since updating to Messages Beta on Lion, it has driven me nuts as for some reason whenever i'm using the app I still get notifications of every single message on my iPhone which is incredibly annoying. (Not to mention the bugs, but it is a beta.)

Has this changed in the (near) final release? Surely iMessage should be able to detect that i'm using my Mac and send the message to just the device i'm using.

2. Sylon macrumors 68020

Sylon

I wouldn't mind it going to both my Mac and my iPhone, but like you said, if it detects that you are using the program on your Mac, then have it be silent alerts for iMessage until you switch back over to your iPhone. Almost like a toggle for "send alerts to your Mac or iPhone".

I wish there was a toggle to choose which device gets the alert. It seems like Apple didn't think it thru that many of their customers may have purchased more than 1 iMessage-capable device.

3. Jamie0003 thread starter macrumors 6502a

I like that it syncs them to my iPhone, I just don't want to be notified of it. Putting my phone on silent isn't the best solution as I may miss an important call.

4. Arelunde macrumors 6502a

Arelunde

If you noticed, the Messages beta is gone from the Macs ... Presumably to re-appear with Mountain Lion.

The whole idea is to get Messages on all Apple devices, which I REALLY liked while the beta was being tested. You could dink with the message alerts on the devices you want silent or you could turn off Message iCloud sync for the devices you don't want involved.

I really miss having Messages on my MBP.