Question about iMessage

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Saberon, Sep 21, 2011.

1. Saberon macrumors 6502a

My mom has an iPhone 3GS and her niece has a iPod Touch 4.

If my mom sends an iMessage to her niece when she (niece) is disconnected from WiFi (camping, outside, friends house etc) will she get the iMessage when she gets back on WiFi? I know texting works like that but I don't know if iMessage does....thanks!

2. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

I don't think so. I've only used it with people who have iPhones but you can't send them an iMessage unless they are connected to a data network at the time.

3. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

The niece will get the iMessage the next time she connects to a WiFi access point that has an internet connection. Until then, it will live in Apple's queue of iMessages waiting to be sent.

4. Saberon thread starter macrumors 6502a

5. MarcBook macrumors 6502a

MarcBook

Yes. Wi-Fi only devices receive messages whenever they're connected to a Wi-Fi network. The message will be pending until the iPod is reconnected.

I know this from experience with my iPad.

6. Saberon thread starter macrumors 6502a

7. lancastor macrumors 6502a

Thats not true. If they aren't connected to a WiFi (device turned completely off) they receive the message after turning on their device. You can send iMessages to them if your partner isn't connected to a network (WiFi, 3G).

8. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

In my experience if the person has a mobile/cell number it sends an SMS in that circumstance rather than an iMessage. As I said I have no experience of trying it with people with WiFi only devices.

9. lancastor macrumors 6502a

Also your second posting is WRONG.

Only if iMessage is unavailable, SMS is used to send the message, I think you haven't understood the iMessage completely.

10. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

Before screaming "WRONG" at someone else's post, do some further reading. If iPhone A sends a message to iPhone B and iPhone B does not have any kind of data connection the iMessage waits in queue for about five minutes. When these five minuets are up, the iMessage is automatically made into a SMS and sent via the cell network. Furthermore, iPhone A or B can choose to turn off iMessages in which case the message will always be sent over the cell network.

11. bender999 macrumors newbie

I'm not sure your answer is correct either, as it conflicts with previous posts from seemingly experienced users. By your explanation, the niece would never recieve the iMessage after the 5 minutes because she cannot receive a true SMS as she does not receive cellular data on her iPod Touch.

You did say iPhone B, but we are not talking about an iPhone B, but an iPod Touch.

12. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

If you reread the thread, you'll see I answered the OP's question in post #3. What you quoted is about a slightly different topic.

13. dccorona macrumors 68020

dccorona

the software knows wether what you are messaging is an iPod Touch or an iPhone...it will keep it as an iMessage if you are sending to an iPod, and wait for it to have WiFi. However, if it is an iPhone, it will default to text after waiting a bit for the iMessage to be received

14. Jantelagen macrumors regular

Jantelagen

15. adztaylor macrumors 68000

This, it will know it is an iPod Touch or an iPad as you're sending to someones email address. If you are sending to someones number (iPhone) it will try to send as iMessage then switch to SMS.