question about IMessage

Discussion in 'iOS 5 and earlier' started by gemnilocs, Oct 17, 2011.

1. gemnilocs macrumors 6502

gemnilocs

first if this has been answered in one of the many threads, I apologize because I have read many but can't find an answer. so here goes. I have an iPad and iPhone both with ios5...now I have had a iMessage conversation with someone that has the ipad2 with ios5 but her iPhone is not updated. when I send imessages it is sent but to her ipad(which she doesn't carry on her) but I want to simply send text message but in order to do that I have to have a second conversation. how can you eliminate the need for two conversations? please help.

2. HazyCloud macrumors 68030

HazyCloud

Settings>Messages.

Make sure 'Send As SMS' is enabled. If it is, there isn't any reason why your friend isn't getting them on a non-iOS 5 phone.

EDIT* Apple checks to see if the recipient is on iOS 5. If they are, it's an iMessage. If not, standard SMS.

3. gemnilocs thread starter macrumors 6502

gemnilocs

which makes it two different conversations. See the contact has an iPad that has ios5 and iPhone that does not and when I send an iMessage, it shows delivered because it went to the iPad...if I want to send a text I have to start up a different conversation. which means I have town convos with the same contact.