Question about iMessage

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by rocknblogger, Dec 12, 2011.

1. rocknblogger macrumors 68020

rocknblogger

I was under the impression that if you text someone that does not have iPhone the message color is green and if they are on an iPhone the message is in a blue bubble.

My friend today showed me a series of back and forth messages between her and her husband and some were green and some were blue, all in the same thread. And yes they are both using iPhones. Unfortunately he wasn't home so I don't know what it looked like on his phone.

Any ideas?

2. tmagman macrumors 6502

because iMessage is integrated with normal SMS messaging, if the data connection is interrupted or changed (i.e. when moving out of a wifi area to standard data service) it will change back and send via SMS. When the data connection is restored it will return to sending iMessages

3. rocknblogger thread starter macrumors 68020

rocknblogger

I thought it didn't make a difference. I thought that it sends it via data regardless of whether the phone is connected through wifi or 3G when the messages are sent between iPhone users.

4. verwon macrumors 68030

verwon

It does send over data, but it obviously can't if there's no data signal. Then, it reverts to sending as SMS.

5. G-Mo macrumors 6502

G-Mo

Bang on.

iPhone attempts to use data to iMessage (blue) when possible (wifi, 3G, edge), if not possible, it reverts to SMS (green).

6. rocknblogger thread starter macrumors 68020

rocknblogger