iPhone Question about iMessage?

Discussion in 'iOS 6' started by chrf097, Feb 7, 2013.

1. chrf097 macrumors 68040

chrf097

Is it possible to send an iMessage to a specific contact using EMAIL only, but use my number for the rest of my contacts?

2. stridemat Moderator

stridemat

Staff Member

3. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

No, beause if you send an email to them, it will go to their email account. If you send it to their number 555-867-5309, you'd also need to add something like @vtext.com to it and then it would go out as a regualr SMS message.

4. chrf097 thread starter macrumors 68040

chrf097

I probably should have been more clear.

I want to use the email associated with my iMessage account to send an email to a friend in the UK because I do not have international texting, but he says hes getting iMessages from me from my phone number, NOT my email. I don't want to disable my email because then I can't iMessage my US friends and it will be regular SMS messaging. I want to be able to only use my iMessage email to message my UK friend, while using my # with my US friends.

5. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

Do you have your email configured with iMessage?

6. chrf097 thread starter macrumors 68040

chrf097

Yes.

What I'm wanting is:

iMessage sent through email -----> UK Friend's iMessage account
    iMessage sent through number ----> US Friends' iMessage account

What's happing is the number is being sent to my UK friend. I know the issue because he only has my email saved in my contact, not my phone number, and if I send him a message he receives it showing my phone number (since my # is not saved in his phone)

7. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

Why not just use your email for both US and UK friends? I'm not sure how to separate them as you want, if it's even possible.

8. chrf097 thread starter macrumors 68040

chrf097

Because then I have to tell each individual contact to not text my phone number but my email and I have a lot of iMessage contacts.

9. nepalisherpa macrumors 68020

nepalisherpa

Try this...it might work. Set your email to be your CallerID and start a conversation with your UK friend. Then, set your CallerID back to your phone number.

10. gdjsnyder macrumors 6502a

gdjsnyder

Forgive my ignorance, but you say you wish to do this because you don't have international texting, but if using iMessage you're not being charged a texting fee through your carrier, you're simply using data. So why can't you use you number to text the UK friend?

11. nepalisherpa macrumors 68020

nepalisherpa

gdjsnyder is correct. OP, I missed your post quoted above. With iMessage, you won't be charged any fee. I message my international friends all the time using iMessage. It does not matter if it is using your number. The messages go through Apple's server and use your data, not your message plan.

12. chrf097 thread starter macrumors 68040

chrf097

Because iMessage isn't always reliable and if the message fails it sends a text message.

13. nepalisherpa macrumors 68020

nepalisherpa

I have never had any issues. It will turn "green" if it knows that it's not going to go as iMessage.

14. gdjsnyder macrumors 6502a

gdjsnyder

Turn off "Send as SMS" in settings so that it won't send as a text if iMessage fails.

15. nepalisherpa macrumors 68020

nepalisherpa

Oh yeah, and that too. :)

16. dkh587 macrumors regular

Yup, give them the email associated with your iMessage account, and have them message you on that one.. And save the thread. That way it will send from that email address and not your phone number