Question about immigration

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by asxtb, Jul 3, 2006.

  1. asxtb macrumors 6502

    Sep 1, 2005
    Next month my girlfriend and I are going to America. I am an American and my girlfriend is Japanese who doesn't speak much English. At immigration there are two lines: one for citizens/residents, the other for visitors. Would it be possible for me to go through the visitors line or my girlfriend go through the citizens/residents line so we can stay together and for me to help with the translation? Or do we have to separate? Anybody know or have experience with this? Thanks.
  2. Chundles macrumors G4


    Jul 4, 2005
    Just ask them, I'm sure they're used to such requests.
  3. asxtb thread starter macrumors 6502

    Sep 1, 2005
    Yeah, I was just trying to see what I can expect beforehand.
  4. MongoTheGeek macrumors 68040


    Sep 13, 2003
    Its not so much where you are as when you are.
    Try calling the US embassy there in Japan. That is kinda what they are there for.
  5. asxtb thread starter macrumors 6502

    Sep 1, 2005
    That's a good idea. Thanks.
    By the way... it seemed kinda ironic that you said 'That is what they are there for' and just below in your signature it said 'people to kill'. I don't know, I thought it was kinda funny. :D
  6. evoluzione macrumors 68020


    Jul 19, 2002
    down the road, that's where i'll always be
    you need to speak to the Embassy before you leave, you might have a problem otherwise. you WILL be split up i'm almost sure of it, and they may think that she will overstay her welcome as she's married to you. you can get a visa petition thing so she can get into the country with that, rather than a 3 month vacation one. You'll both be fine, but please talk to the embassy first.

    have fun! :)
  7. count chocula macrumors 6502a

    count chocula

    Apr 7, 2006
    noun. a particular place or position
    they arent married, he said his girlfriend.

Share This Page