Question about iMovie 08

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by HawaiiMacAddict, Aug 12, 2007.

1. HawaiiMacAddict macrumors 6502a

Aloha everyone,

I had the opportunity to visit my local Apple Store last night, so of course I just had to play with one of the new iMacs. I want! I have an iMac already, and it's just fine, but the new one ........ :D I also got the chance to try out the new keyboard, and I think I like that one better than the one that came with my iMac (bought last August). They keys do take a little bit of getting used to, what with the slightly different typing angle and all, but it's really very nice.

With that said, I have a question about iMovie 08 (I haven't bought iLife 08 yet, but will within the next two or three weeks). I did not see any option, anywhere, to share the output with iDVD. I remember during the keynote that Steve Jobs said "some people still want to make DVDs" as if that was so last century. Of course, that may just be a misunderstanding on my part. I can still use iMovie 06 and share that with iDVD 08, I suppose. Does anyone have any information on that? I would like too use iMovie to set chapter markers, then send the project to iDVD for burning.

I actually have two questions. Is there an option to send an iMovie 08 project to iDVD 08 for burning? If not, can I share an iMovie 06 project with iDVD for burning?

HawaiiMacAddict

2. bigandy macrumors G3

bigandy

I've had a look around and it looks like export to quicktime, then import to iDVD.

Alternatively, after installing iLife 08, you could download and install iMovie HD6.. :rolleyes:

3. ClassicBean macrumors 6502a

I just bought iLife '08 and installed it. iMovie '06 remains installed.

4. mark476p macrumors newbie

Sup HawaiiMacAddict. Which store did you go to... Ala Moana, Kahala? Read in the newspaper that they're building a new store in Waikiki. They should spread to the Leeward side, possibly Waikele. Laterz.

5. squeeks macrumors 68040

squeeks

its tricky, you have to tell it to render useing media share, then it can be used directly from any other ilife08 app

6. HawaiiMacAddict thread starter macrumors 6502a

Aloha everyone,

Thanks for your responses. I have a much better idea of my workflow now, although I can't wait until I can use it for myself hehehe :D

mark476p, I live near the Convention Center (on Fern Street), so I most always go to the Ala Moana Apple Store, although I did go to the Kahala opening - also bought my Apple Bluetooth headset there. Where in Waikiki is the new Apple Store being built? I haven't heard anything about that yet.

HawaiiMacAddict

7. theBB macrumors 68020

theBB

I never use Share -> iDVD. I can pick "Add a movie" in iDVD and pick iMovie projects. (This is with iLife '06.)

8. iLifer08 macrumors newbie

The Media Browser

Well, it looks like you may have figured it out, but I thought I would post this for anyone else who needs help getting a movie into iDVD. Basically, you have to send it to the Media Browser. I actually have been documenting how to do stuff as I learn the new iMovie. You can find my little writeup of this process here. I hope this is useful.

http://imovie08.blogspot.com/2007/08/how-to-send-movies-to-media-browser.html

Disclaimer: This is my blog and I do put some ads up on the site.

9. HawaiiMacAddict thread starter macrumors 6502a

Aloha iLifer08,

Thanks for your response. I am a recent convert to the light (since last August), and as such am not fully thinking the "Mac" way. I knew about the Media Browser, but failed to see how it could be used between all of the iLife apps. Something I like about my Mac experience is that I learn something new every day. Thanks for putting up your blog - it's very informative. You will most likely get more traffic as I'll be pointing others to your blog to answer their questions as well.

HawaiiMacAddict

10. iLifer08 macrumors newbie

Well, I've been using a Mac for 10 years and have used every version of iMovie since v1 and I still didn't know how the new Media Browser worked until right before I made that post. :rolleyes: Hehe. It goes to show just how new iMovie '08 is and why so many Mac users are riled up about it.

Thanks for sending people my way!