Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TheKittenEater

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 2, 2007
Hi all,

I'm considering buying the new AppleTV. Just a quick question though, can I import video to iTunes (such as my DVD & HD DVD rips) but have these video files stored on my External HDD (edit: While still retaining my music on my internal HDD)

Otherwise, my 80GB HDD in my MacBook will start filling up fast...

Thanks!

hagar

macrumors 68000
Jan 19, 2008
yes yo can, for instance by using the following tool
It allows you to import videos in itunes without reconversion and supports keeping the videos on multiple drives. It also supports metadata and cover art (automatically downloaded from the internet)

http://users.skynet.be/fc047310/DriveIn

IChing

macrumors regular
Sep 25, 2007
yes yo can, for instance by using the following tool
It allows you to import videos in itunes without reconversion and supports keeping the videos on multiple drives. It also supports metadata and cover art (automatically downloaded from the internet)

http://users.skynet.be/fc047310/DriveIn
The downloading link is dead. I still notice that conversion is also needed in iTunes. Have you used
it yet?

hagar

macrumors 68000
Jan 19, 2008
The link works now. Must be a temporarily issue.

For me the tool works great. You can add videos and tv shows without reconversion and it gets all metadata from analyzing the video file names.
you can then play the videos in itunes, front row and other macs (shared itunes or shared front row). But you are right, playing on appletv or ipod of course still requires conversion in itunes itself because those devices have a limited set of codecs.

just a small tip: make sure you set the option "ask confirmation before saving online data" because sometimes the tool misclassifies your video.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.