Question about In-Store Pick-Up

testcard

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Apr 13, 2009
Northumbria, UK
I’m considering using in-store pick-up for the first time when I order a Series 4. If I wanted to trade in my Series 2 at the same time, would that be possible? Would the store simply credit the card I used to pay for the Watch when ordering? Thanks.

tromboneaholic

Suspended
Jun 9, 2004
Clearwater, FL
I’m considering using in-store pick-up for the first time when I order a Series 4. If I wanted to trade in my Series 2 at the same time, would that be possible? Would the store simply credit the card I used to pay for the Watch when ordering? Thanks.
I have seen people reporting different results. It seems like it depends on the store and the employee helping you.

Some people, who set up the trade online when ordering, were able to trade in at the store, and some people said they were told they had to mail it in.

Pseudo-Fed

macrumors 6502a
Jan 28, 2017
Did it TWICE in the states when they came out, trading my S2 and S3 for two copies of the S4 watch. Unpair the old watch and have it ready. Tell them you want to trade in on new watch BEFORE they charge you for new, and you should only have to leave the watch case. They should deduct trade in right in the sale.

You keep band and charger. I recommend doing the check on Apple's site to see what they will give you for it so you know ahead of time. Good luck.

testcard

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Apr 13, 2009
Northumbria, UK
Did it TWICE in the states when they came out, trading my S2 and S3 for two copies of the S4 watch. Unpair the old watch and have it ready. Tell them you want to trade in on new watch BEFORE they charge you for new, and you should only have to leave the watch case. They should deduct trade in right in the sale.

You keep band and charger. I recommend doing the check on Apple's site to see what they will give you for it so you know ahead of time. Good luck.
But what happens if I order and pay online for instore pickup - would I get the the trade-in value as a credit on my card, or simply a gift card? The trade-in would only be of value if I can get it credited on the payment card.

Pseudo-Fed

macrumors 6502a
Jan 28, 2017
But what happens if I order and pay online for instore pickup - would I get the the trade-in value as a credit on my card, or simply a gift card? The trade-in would only be of value if I can get it credited on the payment card.
Good question. Now that I think about it, I traded two watches in, but one on another watch, and one on the iPhone XS Max. In both cases I walked in to find stock and paid there. The watch I ordered and paid in advance for pickup did not have a trade. You could always ask if you need to return and re-buy the watch to use the trade credit.

charlyee

macrumors 6502
Mar 9, 2011
Wisconsin
I did this last week, paid for my S4 with my card and chose store pickup.

When I went to pick it up, I was told they could only do a gift card for my S3 since the S4 was paid for already.

After some discussion, the Apple Store employee said he could credit my card with the trade-in value.

So all ended well.

charlyee

macrumors 6502
Mar 9, 2011
Wisconsin
You could always ask if you need to return and re-buy the watch to use the trade credit.
I tried that before they agreed to the credit. I was told that they didn’t have any stock at the store for walk-ins, only for web orders, and if I returned mine it wouldn’t be available to buy.