Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bigMAC28

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 16, 2012
Chicago
I am a senior at DePaul University in Chicago. I am majoring in Information Systems and I'm projected to graduate at the end of next fall.(so exactly one year from now) I just started my first internship yesterday at a trading firm and so far I'm getting nervous about the rest of my life. The reason I am un easy is because my boss keeps asking me if i know how to do things and I sometimes have no idea what he is talking about.
From what I can see the people around me use 12 different screens and each is running a different program. I think they all have to do with servers and things like that. In school, I have never even learned about servers and what they do and how to keep them up. I feel like I am extremely behind everyone else around me. My question is, should I hunker down and wait for this to be taught to me(if ever).Is this type of thing taught to you while your on the job? Im just nervous because I dont want to be wasting my money. Also, If anyone out there is an IS major please share your job title and what you do on a daily basis. Thanks!

-Mike

SteveAbootman

macrumors 6502a
May 12, 2008
Companies may run systems and programs you've never seen. They'll train you on how to use it, but the idea is that you understand the basic concepts in your field and can apply them to any program regardless of the UI once you learn it.

If you haven't learned a particular concept yet, be honest and say that. At this point in school, you should know your curriculum for the next year. If nothing about servers is on it, here's a chance to learn more. Knowledge is a good thing. Ask your boss for some materials on the subject, and talk to some of the folks you work with about questions you have.

Showing initiative to learn, rather than, as you say, hunkering down and waiting for someone to teach you, is a good thing.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.