Question about installing 3.0 GM

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by jfreak623, Jun 16, 2009.

1. jfreak623 macrumors 6502

I am downloading 3.0 GM for my iphone but i cant remember if i do the install here at work, will i have to totally erase my phone and lose anything on there? Or will it just update it and leave whats on there? I am thinking about doing it on my work computer.

2. Qwertylizer macrumors regular

I have to ask why don't you wait until tomorrow? Or do you have something or are you going somewhere you can't update tomorrow?

3. jfreak623 thread starter macrumors 6502

i wont be able to update tomorrow.....i must add that i havent backed up my iphone since i sold my old mac so as of now, my phone is backed up neither at work or home so i believe either way if i back it up, wont it delete all my apps and stuff and make me redownload them? I dont care if i lose my songs on it, just would be a pain to re download all my apps

4. bndoarn macrumors 6502a

the guide i went by a week ago said to do the shift + click restore method (on windows)(option + click restore on mac). that makes you lose everything and you have to restore a backup but i've read on here about people having success doing shift/option + click check for updates. that is like a normal update process and doesn't make you lose anything

5. jfreak623 thread starter macrumors 6502

well i will try it out....i just want it to update and not delete all my stuff cause its not "synced" with this computer

NOTE: Shift/Option Check for update works!

6. waterskier2007 macrumors 68000

waterskier2007

you dont have to shift click the restore button. you can shift click the update button. i didnt lose anything on mine. and before you do that you can right click on your phone in the sources and say back up and it will back it up to your computer

7. rockinrocker macrumors 65816

rockinrocker

I'd do a backup first for sure. I had some problems with the install and everything (content and apps) had to be resynced.

8. jfreak623 thread starter macrumors 6502

i didnt do a backup....i just ran with it cause nothing i can really lose. I have my contacts on my new laptop, just havent backed up my apps. if i lose em i will just have to redownload em but so far doesnt look like im gonna lose anything!

UPDATE: Looks like my luck ran out...i had an some kind of error happen and now it is wanting me to restore to get out of recovery mode! Blah

UPDATE#2 anybody know how to get it out of recovery mode with out doing a restore?