Question about installing a new harddrive

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by liquidgold, Apr 8, 2008.

1. liquidgold macrumors newbie

I am planning on getting a new harddrive for my macbook, going from the 160GB to the 320GB. I just recently installed windows xp on a bootcamp partition and was worried about what would happen when I install the new drive. I know that I can use carbon copy, or another program to back up the mac side of things, but will this also back up the windows partition, or will I need something else?
    Also, after I install the new drive, can I take the old drive and turn it into an external harddrive for time machine backups? Would I need to do anything special to the drive other than buy a usb enclosure?

Thanks for the help!

2. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

CCC will not backup the Windows side. Use Winclone instead. To use the old drive you need a USB enclosure that takes a 2.5" SATA drive.

3. liquidgold thread starter macrumors newbie

so, how do i reinstall both mac os and windows on the new harddrive?

4. Cave Man macrumors 604

Cave Man

It's conceivable that you could do a dd from the terminal to save your old drive as an image (you'll need 148 gigs of hard drive space), then dd it back to the new drive. You'd still need to resize the partition(s), using something like iPartition. Don't know if it'll work, but dd does a byte-by-byte copy.