Question about installing iOS 7 GM

Discussion in 'iOS 7' started by ideal.dreams, Sep 10, 2013.

1. ideal.dreams macrumors 68020

ideal.dreams

I downloaded the GM of iOS 7 this evening and have a few questions.

1. I am NOT a developer - will this cause any issues?
    2. How do I go about installing it to my device? Would I option + click "update" or "restore" in iTunes?
    3. Will I have any issues that would make my phone unusable until 9/18?

Thank you!

2. 0000757 macrumors 68040

If you have to ask these, you should wait until next week. Anyways:

No
    If you want to update click update, if you want to restore click restore
    No

3. lordboogie macrumors member

Make sure you do an iCloud backup, because you can't restore your backup from iTunes unless you have beta 11.1 which is Mac on btw.

4. ideal.dreams, Sep 10, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 10, 2013

ideal.dreams thread starter macrumors 68020

ideal.dreams

If I use the update option, will it keep all previous data from iOS 6 (i.e. text messages, pictures, app data, etc)? I don't want to lose anything.

If not, and I have to restore it, am I able to download iTunes 11.1? I don't use iCloud backups.

5. Lifetimechaldo macrumors member

I would also like to know if doing the "update" option keeps all of my texts/pcitures/music (especially music since I cant sync it with iTunes bc I don't have 11.1 beta)

To the user above me, form what I have gathered, you need to be a developer to get iTunes 11.1 beta, and only on that version of iTunes can you do LOCAL syncing. iCloud syncing should still work on WiFi

6. Cougarcat macrumors 604

Updating does just that, updates. Doesn't delete anything. You should still back up of course.

7. ideal.dreams thread starter macrumors 68020

ideal.dreams

I chose update and got an error 6. It put my iPhone in recovery mode. Had to download iTunes 11.1 beta and restore from my previous backup. iOS 7 now installed and running just fine. So amazing!

8. MozMan68 macrumors 68000

MozMan68

Shift + update (not restore). It will keep everything you have on there.

9. C DM macrumors Westmere

Assuming everything goes well.

10. MozMan68 macrumors 68000

MozMan68

Why wouldn't it? No different than what will happen to everyone else when they do it OTA next week.

Ig nore the naysayers that feel you need to get your phone back to factory condition before updatin and/or restoring.

Any issues you may have, if they even pop up, can usually be taken care of with a rest to the the settings straight on the phone or a hard restart.

11. Jman13 macrumors 68000

Update worked beautifully for me on Windows last night. Perfect update. 10 minutes, iOS 7 working perfectly on my i5.

12. NacSquared macrumors regular

NacSquared

Can I ask how you went about this? Without iTunes 11.1 you cannot sync your storage back to your phone, did you use iCloud?

13. Defender2010 macrumors 68030

Defender2010

"Updating" through iTunes to iOS 7 GM does not require a sync afterwards as the apps, music, data etc are untouched. If you "restore" you cannot sync with iTunes. There is a big difference in these 2 words.

14. Jman13 macrumors 68000

Defender is correct - no syncing required. If you do a full restore, you can still restore your iCloud backup, but I didn't do that. I simply updated from iOS 6. No restore, nothing - just an upgrade from iOS 6 to iOS 7.

15. C DM macrumors Westmere

Things can and so go wrong all the time, for one reason or another. Just pointing it out just in case. It wasn't to say restore is better than update or that update is more risky or something like that, just to say that that's how update works usually, but should something go wrong you can lose settings/data (and might need to figure out how to restore all of that in a case like that if you want to).

16. MozMan68 macrumors 68000

MozMan68

Totally agree, but in this day of nearly constant iCloud back-ups, I just don't see an issue with doing a straight update from the last beta. Restoring from DFU or at any other point is always an option if the straight update causes issues.

Even then, resetting the settings or a hard restart sometimes works as well.

Why start with the one option that is the biggest PITA?

17. C DM macrumors Westmere

Agreed. Like I said, it was more of a "disclaimer" for those who were looking at quick answers as to whether or not update would do everything fine. It should and genrally does. But it's good to still be aware that like anything else something can go wrong and to be ready on some level to deal with it (and a lot of people looking for quick answers are usually not the ones that give that much thought).