Question about installing Leopard

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Braby, Aug 29, 2007.

1. Braby macrumors member

When installing Leopard on your system, will you have to reformat your drive and lose everything?

2. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

No, you can simply upgrade the existing installation. There are three options for installing, outlined here.

3. Braby thread starter macrumors member

Is it any different? Any missing features?

If not, that's awesome.

4. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

No, it's exactly the same as a full Erase and Install. Some people prefer to do a full Erase and Install just to make sure they have everything installed exactly as Apple had designed and they don't have any issues carrying over from the old install.

But I and many other people have done plenty of upgrade installs with no issues whatsoever.

5. Braby thread starter macrumors member

Awesome, thanks for the quick reply. This is my first time upgrading a new OS on a Mac.

6. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

I remembered there was a poll here, and most people suggest to do clean install.

7. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

We've had many threads and much discussion, but no actual polls that I can recall, and certainly no consensus in favor of clean installs.

8. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

Reformatting your hard drive or even Archive & Install are radical measures intended to repair vexing problems. These are not intended to be standard practices for upgrades. Unfortunately, a lot of switchers think that necessary procedures for handling Windows are good ideas for handling Macs. They are not. If your computer is behaving well now, then you have about 99.999% certainty that it will behave well after a simple upgrade. The installer will go through a media and file system check as part of the upgrade. When it is done, you will be able to immediately get to work. Those performing more radical procedures will still be futzing with their systems long after you are done.

9. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

mmmmm
    http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=291628 I guess you can just do a search.