Question about installing Life 09....(immediate help would be great)

Discussion in 'macOS' started by NorrisKillsKids, Mar 21, 2009.

1. NorrisKillsKids macrumors 6502a

I was wondering whether or not it is possible to install iLife 09 using the upgrade DVD that came with the up to date promotion on a mac that currently does not have ilife at all installed on it. Is it literally an upgrade dvd from 08 to 09 or is it a full installable version just labeled upgrade dvd?

2. Hawkeye411 macrumors 68000

Hawkeye411

3. NorrisKillsKids thread starter macrumors 6502a

So you mean you did NOT have iLife at all on the computer you used the upgrade dvd on?!?!?

4. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

I have no idea what the difference between a "full" install disk and an "upgrade" install disk would be. :confused:

That would be impossible. You can no longer install iLife on a Mac designed without iLife, meaning that there are no computers that you can put iLife '09 on that didn't have iLife '08. There is one disk and one disk only.

5. NorrisKillsKids thread starter macrumors 6502a

The iLife that came with my new mac says CPU drop-in DVD....the one that came with the up-to-date promotion says Upgrade DVD under iLife 09. So I was wondering if that one can be installed on os x with no iLife installed on it at all. Wording on the CD is confusing me. I assume it's a full install dvd with odd wording but I want to be sure.

If any backstory helps, I bought this thinking I would need it and now I obviously don't because my iMac did end up coming with 09 even though it said it wouldn't, so I want to give it to my cousin but it's kind of a hassle to get it to him so I want to be sure (long distance). He says he doesn't have iLife installed at all on his os x.

6. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Again, what's the difference between "full" and "upgrade"? There is no such thing as a "full" iLife disk; they're all upgrades.

7. emt1 macrumors 65816

That's wrong. You can buy an iLife DVD which installs iLife on a computer that never had iLife installed on it

8. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Nope. There are no computers that work with current iLife disks that didn't have the same or a previous version of iLife on them at one time.

9. NorrisKillsKids thread starter macrumors 6502a

I see what you're saying that every mac should come with some form of ilife and the disk should install 09 regardless but what if he deleted ilife and has nothing at all and no way to get 08 back or whatever version he had. Can the upgrade dvd install 09?

I should note that on the upgrade dvd, the slip that came with it mentions the hardware and software requirements and an earlier version of iLife is not listed, but that may be because they expect all to have it? I'm starting to think I'm right in assuming that it's a full installation disk labeled upgrade dvd.

10. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Yes. I don't care how it is labelled, there is only one iLife disk and they all do the same thing. Installation is simply putting the disk in.

11. NorrisKillsKids thread starter macrumors 6502a