Question about installing Lion on MBA after downloading on iMac

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by RealSkyDiver, Jul 21, 2011.

1. RealSkyDiver macrumors 6502

I bought a new iMac and the newly released MBA so now I'm downloading free Lion on the iMac. Can I put it on a USB stick and then instal it on the MBA after installing it on the iMac?

2. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Yes. Make the USB key as described in the above post.

Then plug the USB key into the MBA. Restart and hold the alt key when starting. Then select the USB key to start from. From there you will get a "install Lion" screen. Works perfectly.

3. Dimwhit macrumors 68000

Dimwhit

You don't even need to put it on a USB drive. I just copied the Install Lion app in the Applications folder over to the other computers needing the upgrade, then I ran that app/installer from there.

4. RealSkyDiver thread starter macrumors 6502

But doesn't the upgrade get deleted after using it?

5. Dimwhit macrumors 68000

Dimwhit

Yes, so you need to copy it over after it is downloaded, but before it is installed. I threw the entire installer file onto an external hard drive after it downloaded. For each of my computers, I just dump it into the Applications folder on the computers in question and launch.

6. TC25 macrumors 68020

I did not have to do any copying, USB stick creating, etc.

I installed on my MBA, went to my iMac, started App Store, clicked on Purchased, clicked on Install for Lion.

Yes, I had to wait to d/l it, but it's not like I sat there and watched it.

7. Dimwhit macrumors 68000

Dimwhit

That's certainly doable. But it gets old if you have 4 or 5 computers to upgrade.